Guerciotti Record

Happy Shopper":1df5tsqz said:
Just built up a Guerciotti Record frameset myself, I'll post a pic on the forum.

do you a pic of your built? How is the bike?
I am thinking of getting one frame myself... and go steel.
is it very heavy compared to an alu frame with carbon forks?

clod71":mf68mcch said:
Happy Shopper":mf68mcch said:
Just built up a Guerciotti Record frameset myself, I'll post a pic on the forum.

do you a pic of your built? How is the bike?
I am thinking of getting one frame myself... and go steel.

Don't go by weight, go by ride experience!

say you weigh 12 stone=168lb
an alu frame and fork is around 1.5 kg= 3.3 lb
a nice steel frame and fork ( not an anvil-tourer Dutch bike! ) is 2.5 kg +/-
=4.84 lb.
Assume the build ( depending on wheels, groupset, saddle etc etc ) plus rider weight to be 188-191 ibs , the difference is about 1.5%.

I ride steel or carbon. alu frames are between the 2 weightwise but I find them tiring; again it depends on the frame builder and geometries.

Steel can be repaired, carbon is knitted soot so don't go there! Alu not generally considered repairable and the frames new are good for about 5 years I believe.

Got a pal you can borrow a steelie from? or a bike shop with a try before you buy? you need to test drive rather than look at numbers imho
to be
So total rider weight + bike weight :) :)
I've been riding this Colnago in training for the Dartmoor Classic, sure it's heavier but totally do-able.

Attachments

• DSCF0399.jpg
    DSCF0399.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 727
bikenut2010":1q57ytyg said:
I ride steel or carbon. alu frames are between the 2 weightwise but I find them tiring; again it depends on the frame builder and geometries.

You went straight to the point there...
I'm quite new to the whole cycling business, but I got the bug very quickly and at the moment I am riding an alu frame, which is ok I have to admit, but a bit harsh after a while and therefore tiring.
If only I could afford to buy a steel frame for commuting and errands and a CF for my club spins, I wouldn't even have asked myself the question of the weight, but I only have the money for one bike.
That's why i popped the question...
I commute quite regularly on a 25Km course (each way) and I like the idea of going steel for comfort (and class... :D ), but, at the same time, I can't afford to add 2Kg when I go out with people who are already stronger than me and ride 7,5 / 8 Kg bikes... I'd be killing myself !

Should I get a CF or this affordable and cool Guerciotti with a retro taste?

by the way, I am 66Kg which equals 146 lbs

clod71":16d4fk3z said:

In my, LIMITED, experience the difference there is a noticeable difference between carbon and steel but not particularly between quality steel and ally. The tubing on steel frames can be very thin because it is brazed, not welded. You can pick up good steel road frames for not a lot of money and build a bike up around if you are prepared to sit and watch ebay and what have you.

If you're worried about how you will cope with others, you would be, in my humble opinion - much better off having a bike that fits with good ratios and a fit rider. That is going to make more difference at an amateur level than a couple of pounds in weight difference.

Course, I could be talking complete bollocks, but it's free advice so what can you expect :LOL:

gregs656":3c73ag6d said:
clod71":3c73ag6d said:

In my, LIMITED, experience the difference there is a noticeable difference between carbon and steel but not particularly between quality steel and ally. The tubing on steel frames can be very thin because it is brazed, not welded. You can pick up good steel road frames for not a lot of money and build a bike up around if you are prepared to sit and watch ebay and what have you.

If you're worried about how you will cope with others, you would be, in my humble opinion - much better off having a bike that fits with good ratios and a fit rider. That is going to make more difference at an amateur level than a couple of pounds in weight difference.

Course, I could be talking complete bollocks, but it's free advice so what can you expect :LOL:

this Guerciotti is a Columbus Thorn (?) .. is this good quality steel?
I agree with you with the last considerations, but only if we are talking a couple (literally) of pounds.
You can be quite fit, but if those couple of pounds start becoming a couple of Kg then you are a fit rider riding a gate... :roll:

Thron os OK, a fairly basic Columbus tubeset, more a ford transit than a alfa mito :cool: I had a Thron Olagnero, you could happily sit and ride it all day. ( rolls saddle, 105 group )

clod71":3c9zpk6h said:
I agree with you with the last considerations, but only if we are talking a couple (literally) of pounds.
You can be quite fit, but if those couple of pounds start becoming a couple of Kg then you are a fit rider riding a gate... :roll:

The difference in frame weight between the cheapest alloy ones they have on there for £350 is 5 to 700 grams - and you don't get forks.

And steel is better :LOL:

Back