1992 Sbike 728 - FINISHED : pics p.5

GaryTurner":3psnta6c said:
:cool:

what's the handlebar'width please ?

It's a 542mm one. Rather narrow really, but still doable. I'm used to 570-600mm bars on my bikes, but this one still feels okay.

P5010190m.jpg

racer x":3psnta6c said:
Why not still 729 here is a original pic, looks just like yours, liking your sbike by the way
The 729 used an XTR groupset, the 728 an XT groupset. That's the only difference really, but it's a rather important one for purists.
Mine uses an XT set, so it really should be rebadged to 728. I could also buy an entire XTR set, but reckon that new decals are the better option.

Your bike mate, there is original pic added to your thread showing 729 with XT groupo same as yours , If it was me id be looking for one you know 100% is an original 728 better peace of mind an all :cool:

Yeah, but the one you attached is the original 729 prototype (the rough welding and different "S" in "Sbike" are a dead giveaway), which was built in 1991 when XTR wasn't available yet.
That frame really was just a test mule and didn't use catalogue-spec components because those were only available from 1992 on.

Considering the Swiss and US flags in the picture, I'm thinking it was taken when the bike was introduced to the press.
Everyone was probably drooling over the frame and fork too much to notice the rest of the parts.

:D Its nice pic though :cool: think my Sbike racing top has a nice pic of an early Sbike

Here is an original 728 to have a nice look at :cool: XT & DX mix

Think the difference was the slot cut out for the seatpost clamping on the 728 was at the front for the clamp and on the 729 it was at the back but not 100%

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-05-02 at 00.11.57.png
    Screen shot 2012-05-02 at 00.11.57.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,450
  • Screen shot 2012-05-02 at 00.12.09.png
    Screen shot 2012-05-02 at 00.12.09.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,450
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ooooooooooo ..... :shock:

Nope, missed that one completely.
Thanks for showing it. I just might have another new bike soon ... :cool:

Then again, if I keep buying bikes, I'll never get that prototype finished.
And it's full Campagnolo with one of those hideous forks, so I'd need to strip it down to the bare frame and rebuild it properly ...

Ahh, decisions decisions ... Time to win the lottery, methinks.

So what derivative is the one for sale - 529?

Also, I not that the decal says 'S apostrophe BIKE' - what does the S stand for? Swiss?

That'd be a 700c, the first aluminium Sbike model.
It's not that rare (It's the third one I've seen for sale in 2012), but the frame on this one looks like it's in mint condition. Certainly the best one I've seen in a while.

Many people seem to think that the S stands for "Swiss" indeed. However the original Quinn prototype had "All Terrain S'bike" on the sides too, and when that was built the Sbike company wasn't founded yet.
The Quinn was an all-american affair (Designed by Francesco Quinn, welded by Yeti's Chris Herting and FTW), so there's no link to Switzerland on this bike.

5720584112_7502d2626e.jpg

5745671379_87bd6e8e01_z.jpg

So all in all, I have no idea. Perhaps I can ask Fabio Cavalli (Sbike's founder) if I ever get hold of him, but I have so many questions already that this really isn't high on my list of things to ask.

Nearly there ...

I received a pair of (re-issue) Flite titanium saddles and a pair of foam grips today. The grips and one of the saddles were put on, the levers were set up and outer cables have been cut.

The original chain has too much rust. Bathing for several days in Coca Cola didn't help, bathing in vinegar didn't do anything either.
It's not just surface rust, so the strength of the chain is probably compromised.
I'm not going to take risks here, so I'll just get a new 7-speed HG chain.

I also need other brake pads because these XT ones are 20 years old and higher than the rims themselves.
I have 3 sets of Avid Tri-Dangle canti hangers, but it'd be a shame to put those on because the rest of the bike is 100% original. So I have to get some regular ones.

All the items I need are regular off-the-shelf items, available at any decent LBS.
However every single LBS in a 20 mile radius is closed on Tuesdays. :roll:

Once I have everything, I can finish the build and adjust the cables.
Then when Gil's new decals arrive, I'll take some pics with these Panaracers so I can post a pic of an all-original 728 on my site.
After that, the tyres will be swapped for a pair of Schwalbe City Jet 1.95" amberwalls. I'm not taking it off-road too often, so proper street tyres make sense.

Attachments

• P5080192m.jpg
    P5080192m.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 425
Back