Where do I start?

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to end my off-road cycling/mountain biking. The back is playing up too much etc etc old man talk.
Think I am going to sell my Kona Kilauea and 'get into' road bikes...but I havn't got any idea where to start and what to look for.
I was thinking a cyclocross bike would be a good idea to keep the odd off-road jaunt a possibility.....but I also like speed on the road.
This really is a silly beginners Q, but what kinda bike should I look out for.
Budget depends on what I can get for the afore-mentioned, plus a bit in the kitty....say £1000 tops,
Any help appreciated.
Ta, HB
PS I like steel.

I like dead British frame builders. Here is a good place to start. Here is a nice place for new old-style bits.
Lots of ebay shops here and here.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
new bike

Check out Wiggles 'Focus' range. Good value I reckon. Theyve got a full carbon effort for under £1000.

HOWEVER! building something up from a classic 531, 753, 853 frame or Columbus SLX would be even nicer. Even if you kit it out with ergos and 9/10 speed gruppo as long as the wheels are trad it will be your favoured ride - thats a 'Lelobysfoot' guarantee.

Colnago? Certainly within budget.

Dont forget to look at a Audax or touring bike, not as fast as a flat out racer but built for riding every day, day in day out. mine is built with DX & XT with a bit of 105 thrown in for luck not forgetingn Icon cranks and rings with Onze brakes.

A 90s steel Colnago or Pinarello is hard to beat and some of the paintwork especially on the Colnagos is stunning :) I'm on the look out for a nice Colnago at the moment :)

If it wasn't for your back problems I'd say make me an offer on my Pinarello but its ride isn't for someone with a bad back :shock: plus its not steel anyway :)

p.s I'd be very interested in your Kona if you do decide to sell ;)

maybe these

If your on a budget and you like steel frames you may want to consider a Lemond Poprad. There's usually a few of these for sale in used but decent condition.

If your thinking about 90`s Italian might bre worth considering a Tommasini i bit rarer than Colnago with just as good if not better quality.

Back