Good cycling iPhone app?

was8v":smeeejp7 said:
Paid:
OutsDoors GPS national parks - for a fiver it comes with all GB national parks OS maps. Go on the website and load in a .GPX (from route websites or mates) and the route is downloaded to your phone. Much easier than a paper map when out and about.

Will this give you spoken directions when out on the trails? Really need something that does this as I hate having to read maps/directions...

BertR00t":1icedh51 said:
was8v":1icedh51 said:
Paid:
OutsDoors GPS national parks - for a fiver it comes with all GB national parks OS maps. Go on the website and load in a .GPX (from route websites or mates) and the route is downloaded to your phone. Much easier than a paper map when out and about.

Will this give you spoken directions when out on the trails? Really need something that does this as I hate having to read maps/directions...

No spoken directions. Thinking about is OS maps are raster maps so that would be very difficult to implement - the app would have to "trace" the map to work out junctions and path types etc. then it could notify you of which path to take.

I suppose you could have an app that shouted "you're going the wrong way" when you went off away from the route ;)

MM tracker on android has a nav mode that shows an arrow of your desired heading. This doesn't know if you are at a junction or not, but as its visual rather than spoken its not annoying. Clearly no use for off road biking though.

I find it OK to whip the phone out when I don't know which way to go. I'm looking into a secure top tube mount for a phone so it is to hand.

I understand it would be difficult to do but even a you've gone too far or hard right or similar would be good.

I use viewranger when I'm going somewhere new and need a map. You can create routes on the phone or download routes in gpx format and it will guide you waypoint to waypoint with arrows on the display. This is a bit tricky on the mtb but works well on the road with a bar mount. The software is free on symbian and a few quid on iphone, you can then pay for OS maps or download free opensource maps which are just as good if not better (some biek trails marked already etc).

I also use sportstracker to log rides as it seems very stable and doesn't fall over if someone rings you whilst you're out as Viewranger does at times. Not as much functionality as viewranger but good app.

Tried endomondo, it's OK for logging routes but that's about it. I think this is aimed more at the on-line community challenge market.

A tip is to use a neoprene arm pouch with a clear front. Attach to your wrist instead of your arm and you can quickly check your route/position as if looking at a wristwatch.

Out of interest, what do people want in a biking app?

Route / distance & time tracking I assume is a given, but what else is on people's wish list?

I've recently started iPhone development and have developed an app called "FootPath" for walking / running that tracks distance / time / route taken etc. But I'd be interested in developing something specific to mountain biking, so looking for people's wish lists.

DS

Back