Gazelle AB frame *with modern content*

Polco

Dirt Disciple
Hello
Been lurking here for a wee while so thought I'd post up pics of my latest ride, a Gazelle Champion Mondial from 1988. I'm doing a few time trials on it just now so it's ketted out with a 10sp Microshift group, I plan to acquire something more period as I go along but groupset aside this is a cracking bike to ride, I love it!

Attachments

• IMGP0598 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0598 (Large).JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMGP0603 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0603 (Large).JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,172
I think the colouring of the frame suits the modern groupset surprisingly well, at least better than most classic bikes.

+1

It is a great frame. If you're fan of the features a modern groupset offers, than I think this is a great combination.

Thanks for the comments guys, to be honest I'm not keen on integrated shifters and would prefer bar end shifters but that will happen eventually! I never even thought of taking a drive side pic, the best I can do is this which my better half took while honing her photography skills! (Shame about her model!)

Attachments

• cycling (Large).jpg
    cycling (Large).jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 1,051
Finally got round to posting some better pics :D

Attachments

• CNV00026 (Medium).jpg
    CNV00026 (Medium).jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 894
  • CNV00018 (Medium).jpg
    CNV00018 (Medium).jpg
    336 KB · Views: 894
  • CNV00020 (Medium).jpg
    CNV00020 (Medium).jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 894
That's a lovely build - did you have to cold-set the frame to get the 10-speed hub into the dropouts? Or is it just a squeeze? Interested to hear how you got on as I have a frame and forks from 1980 I'm considering a modern groupset on, though I might stick to '90s kit as opposed to 10-speed.

Rich34":7qj31ktv said:
That's a lovely build - did you have to cold-set the frame to get the 10-speed hub into the dropouts? Or is it just a squeeze? Interested to hear how you got on as I have a frame and forks from 1980 I'm considering a modern groupset on, though I might stick to '90s kit as opposed to 10-speed.

Thank you! The rear dropouts measured 127mm so I just squeezed the rear wheel in without much bother at all :D
I took the bike out to the club '10' last night, an extremely hilly course and I was surrounded by some very expensive carbon fibre TT machines, didn't stop me & the Gazelle passing 4 of them though!!!

Thanks for that - the frame I'm getting has 126mm spacing apparently. I don't see any issues really from what I've read so far.

I too look forward to over-hauling people on carbon fibre stuff! The bike will be great once it's built, I do need to work on my fitness levels though... :?

Back