1990 Araya Muddy Fox (Finished!)

poweredbypies":2g5sy73h said:
Thats a beautiful thing. One of those lucky finds.

Thanks mate, it is and I have to keep reminding myself that, especially when I read other threads of cool 'tip' finds that people have had. In New Zealand it's a lot harder to find 'that' bargain, or we struggle to get the amount (volume) of retro bikes/parts readily available.

FYI - the cables, grips and help fitting them all set me back nearly GBP100, but I am selling another bargain (modern MTB) bike I found for $1 (50p) and already it's up to about 30 quid. I reckon I should have the complete Muddy Fox done (as it is now) for the original $48 I paid for it back in July last year. To me that's mission accomplished :D

poweredbypies":30ef9swd said:
Thats a rare find anwhere in the world nowadays. Give yourself a pat on the back for saving such a rare beast.

Appreciate your comment thanks. There is so much I could do to it (change parts etc), but having the original bike as it was when it was on the shop floor has massive appeal to me. There can't be many bikes that were used as well as this one, with all of the same parts as the brochure (bar the tyres).

However, as much as this bike was used, i'm really not sure it ever went off road? The original owner made some comments which made me think it's only ever been ridden as a commuter in Tokyo city? He bought it back to New Zealand and then never used it? Also, as far as the cleaning went, there was NO mud on the bike anywhere!!

Anyway, the tyres are definitely in need of change though (to make it 'look' better :LOL: !!) and I think a trip to the local dump sometime this weekend could be in order!!

I know how much time and effort (and pain) went into cleaning/scrubbing/sanding/polishing away the 20 years of grease and grime on the fox so it's great to see her all minted up.

Great resto job on a very rare beast. Awesome work mate.

Back