70's Halfords Olympic scored!

retrogeezer

Devout Dirtbag
Hi again folks,

I loiter on here from time to time, got an old school bmx and mtb collection and today I picked up this lovely 70's Halfords Olympic racer.

Really rather chuffed with it, love the colour and decals, it's fairly well specced with Shimano gearing, alloy chainset/bars/stem/brakes.

It appeals to me more than a Raleigh of the same era due to it's rarity.

Anyway, here are a couple of quick mobile phone snaps from earlier.

305576_10150681758282826_711072825_9266966_133654327_n.jpg

550155_10150681800907826_711072825_9267089_694220168_n.jpg

I thought there would have been a bit more love for this old thing in here, guess I'm the only mad one that likes it!

These old halfords bikes are rare, but not to well spec'ed. It is nice to see survivors, they take us back to our teens. Love it, ride it and care for it.

Dave

It was actually seeing this bike on a motoring forum that prompted me to start on mine. Judging by the photos, this bike is in amazing condition.

The thing that strikes me most about this bike is the curve on the front forks. I don't know if all 70's bikes were like that but it looks crazy.

Love it - it could come from no other decade. I really like the look of five speed bikes. Love to see some more pictures...

Where's the bike rack in the second picture? They're not all yours are they??

The tight curve in the forks is normal before the 1980s. Actually it makes the forks more compliant and comfortable to ride. Later on the passion for stiffness meant that people decided they preferred numb hands. :roll:

The frame is nothing special (I had one when I was 17, bought secondhand) but it's still a nice serviceable machine.

retrogeezer":1btk261q said:
I thought there would have been a bit more love for this old thing in here, guess I'm the only mad one that likes it!

Very nice indeed, not high specced but has has a real retro look I love. Great colour and I hope its looked after. Its not everyone that thinks only the high end stuff is worth preserving.

Thanks for the positive comments folks, the other bikes are ones the seller had for sale.

It really is typically 70's, I love the more obscure stuff and have things like Team Murray BMX's that I love as much as my PK Ripper.

We have had family over from Canada this week so no time to do anything but will take some more photos as soon as poss.

Road bike wise I also have an 80's Koga Miyata and a Trek from the 90's (I think, not seen it since we moved 5 years ago)

Back