This frame might be an Alec Bird but is NOT a Carlton!

sawston_vulcan":2kod9dnf said:
it has to be an Alec Bird....as even if it was decaled as a ken Bird....it would would have been made by Alec.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression, Ken Bird frames could've been built by anybody.

Some Guy":3j4olo36 said:
sawston_vulcan":3j4olo36 said:
it has to be an Alec Bird....as even if it was decaled as a ken Bird....it would would have been made by Alec.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression, Ken Bird frames could've been built by anybody.

As far as i am aware all KB frames were built by AB...at least the good stuff!....and how ever good my frame looks like in pictures...it looks better in reality.

Spokesmann":1cvf0d2a said:
very, very interesting stuff!

Yes it is....I was just coming to terms with the possibility that the frame was a Carlton of some description.....Now?....built by Alec Bird???

If someone on this forum knows Alec [i believe he is still alive]....i would love to talk with him....it would answer some relevant questions.

Just to add a little more confusion to the thread. Could this be a Columbia of Worksop frame? The builders there were from Carlton & would have had access to those lugs.

desmondo":1qq1f2u8 said:
Just to add a little more confusion to the thread. Could this be a Columbia of Worksop frame? The builders there were from Carlton & would have had access to those lugs.

Could you tell me more?....Does Columbia of Worksop still exist?....Do you know much or anything about them?....It could be a possibility....Please let me know anything you know about them.

OldNed may know a bit about them. I believe the builders there were Chris at Edison cycles, Rick Powell & I thought Dave Marsh was involved to some extent but could be wrong on all accounts.

Hi

My previous link www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-208881.html has the banter with Ken Bird and Clive Stuart employees, they talk about rebadged bought in frames from Holdsworthy having 3 digit frame numbers, as yours does. Although maybe this is just coincedence?

Classic Rendezvouz makes reference to Ken Bird frames being built by Holdsworth and Chas Roberts. www.classicrendezvouz.com/British_isles/Bird_Ken.html

There is a bit of chatter on Flickr, with an article from the "comic" talking about Bill Gray building the Bird badged Engers bike and Dave Clark from Mercian building on Ken Birds premises.

The only reference I can find to Alec Bird building most of Ken Birds frames is a line in one of Hilary Stones LFGSS adverts.

Although I also saw a comment written by Simon Bird (Kens son) saying that he remembered his dad building all the frames himself in the Green St Green shop, so I guess this is an example of the truth being lost over time? www.vintagelightweights.co.uk/2011/11/1 ... /#com-head

The 3 digit frame number does make it look like a Holdsworthy built bike maybe? The Niki Graff site talks about some of there builders.

An finaly, I promise :) , the 1st link also talks about plastic Unicantor saddles being popular on Clive Stuart bikes, who also rebadged Holdsworthy frames with there 3 digit frame numbers. Although I don't know if Clive Stuart bikes would've been available after 1981, when others could've got Carlton lugs?

Some Guy":zslutg1e said:
sawston_vulcan":zslutg1e said:

On further reflection....you are probably right!

sawston_vulcan":35gtnj1r said:
Some Guy":35gtnj1r said:
sawston_vulcan":35gtnj1r said:

On further reflection....you are probably right!
I don't want to be right, just want to work out the cluedo game! Was is Colonel Mustard with the candle stick! :LOL:

Back