Raleigh Flyer

I think I might do that. To be honest I am a still a fair way off there yet but I will look around and see what I can get.

Will see about getting the paint off tomorrow weather permitting (as I am not doing that in the conservatory).

Scotty

they would be 700c by 1987 IIRC, best thing you could buy would be some all alloy wheels to replace the stock chrome rims! Watch out for bent seat stays on these frames, I've scrapped two in the last year for that reason - worth looking down the stays with a keen eye :shock:

Hell that Lancia has some rust. They made some lovely looking cars but the metal was just crap. A bit like one of my very first cars an original Fiat Panda - that could rust for England if it were an Olympic sport.

The bike does appear better!

Spokesmann":e64s92uw said:
Hell that Lancia has some rust. They made some lovely looking cars but the metal was just crap. A bit like one of my very first cars an original Fiat Panda - that could rust for England if it were an Olympic sport.

The bike does appear better!

Don't you mean Italy ? LOL. I always reckon that French and Italian cars are like supermodels - look pretty, but are tempermental and expensive to run.

The biggest problem is that as it is a Lancia the subframe needs welding too. :roll: Not all of it so I am hoping to just drop it a little (I say me, my mate who I own it with is coming round to help drop it) to access the bits that need doing without dropping the whole lot.

Anyhow as the weather is still frigging awful, I have done a little work on the bike. I ended up taking it to Halfords to get the bottom bracket out and I was getting nowhere and I am glad I did as it took them a fair while with the correct tools. I was using an adjustable wrench that looks pre war.

I was glad to see though that the frame was still solid in there:

2012-04-29162336.jpg

So I continued to give the bike a bit of a clean and it looks okay:

2012-04-29162228.jpg

Despite it looking good, I am still going to strip the paint etc and prep it for painting. Instead of doing it myself one of the chaps at Halfords recommended Triple S Powder coating in Bingley so I am going to make sure its solid and then take it into them to get painted (assuming it is as cheap as I was told). I dont know if anyone on here has used them or not?

But am happy with the progress so far. Looking forward to hooning around on it if we ever see the sun again.

coming along nicely then! don't forget to remove the crown race from the forks (presuming you're having them p/coated too)

Dead Rats":34bxour0 said:
coming along nicely then! don't forget to remove the crown race from the forks (presuming you're having them p/coated too)

Oh yeah the front forks......I have been spending so long looking at the frame, I forgot they even existed. :oops: Will do them in a bit.

Right, its ready for painting. Its going in tomorrow.

GosmsPhoto1335795857780.jpg

Am having it done in white.

I really need to get hold of some Flyer decals. Someone must have asked this question before (maybe not about the flyer but maybe another Raleigh bike). Is there anywhere I can get them? Or if I have to is there any design blueprints so that I can get them made up.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Scotty

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Dead Rats":3oq2zn8y said:
any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Flyer ... 0220449862

:D

quick tip - make sure you open out / correct the seatpost clamp (and the split in the seat tube) before painting as they tend to get squished on old steel Raleighs ;)

Different Flyer unfortunately. :(

Mines like this one:

dsc_0256_1.jpg

They can wait but if I could locate any it would be a bonus.

I will keep the seat post clap apart then. Have been throwing the frame round all morning whilst taking off the paint. Sounds like I was lucky not to damage it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back