On the rise...

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Can I ask for advice on riser bars for my '94 steel wheels -

I cannot remember when they first came into being, so am not sure whether they will be 'period' enough - although I would prefer them from an ergonomics point of view.

Can anyone enlighten me with a potted history of the riser?

Neil

Hi,

I can't tell when exactly, but with '94 you are save. There were already risers then.

Riser bars should not be on any XC bike full stop :x

I only have them on my 6"FS cos of the ribbing I kept getting. People refused to even try riding it cos of the bars!! I don't know :roll:

On the other hand, use what you want, you ride it remember!! :D

To quote MBUK mag 1993 Winter Special (I used to take them seriously back then too) ;) . . .

1993 . . . The year of the Camel . . . This was the year when full suspension came of age and, as a result, the world whizzed past your shades a lot faster than before.

They key to this change? Without a doubt it was watching Dave Cullinan at the Worlds in Bromont. We were all crashing around on low-stemmed front suspension bikes, and here was this fat American hammering down hills at an incredible speed using a bike that looked like something your sister goes to the shops on.

High stems? Wide bars? The mockers laughed, but the believers soon copied. And at the first big downhill of the year, NEMBA Catterick, there were a fair number of sit-up-and-beg downhillers.

Just as the hybrid set were dropping their swept up bars for flat stems, rad downhillers were picking them up . . .

I remember seeing them at the 90's bike show at Ally Pally (Bicycle Expo?) - Club Roost IIRC - selling like hot cakes then but this may have been a little later than '93?

(I had a Saab 9-5 too but I agree risers on a retro bike is a no-no. See my Orange for why it just looks wrong....)

Back