1995 Zaskar

what stem and seatpost did they use in 95 GM?

was it a kalloy post and a tioga aheadset ' knee saver' stem?

the tyres above are actually the originals from my dad's 94 bravado le.

tread is fine, but sidewalls are too suspect for me to ride it off road, i just ride it with modern tyres day to day on the dirt. i ride it quite a lot, so trying to source a steady supply of period correct tyres would be difficult not to mention expensive. psychos (bitd) wear down incredibly quickly on our trails here also, a few decent rides and the knobs all started to break off the rear tyre quickly...

it would be nice to syncros it. but a 27.0 hardcore post is nigh on impossible to track down, when they do pop up here or elsewhere, they are gone in a blink of an eye.

gm1230126":2coff5js said:
But what ever happened to period correct and building back to OEM spec?

I guess building back to OEM spec is not for everybody! :LOL: ;)

merckx":z0hkurzv said:
what stem and seatpost did they use in 95 GM?

You need better pictures? For the Zaskar LE They used the following:
Syncros Hardcore Alloy Micro adjust seat post
Syncros Cattlehead Stem
Tioga Alchemy Alloy aheadset with retainers

For the Zaskar it was a Tranz-X no label kneesaver stem
Kalloy alloy micro adjust seat post I think it was a SP-263.
Same headset as the LE.

There's always bikepedia.com for spec verification

Zaskar

Building back to OEM spec.......

I like the fact that everyone builds the bike to the own taste, whats available and to their budget.....

Otherwise everyone's bikes would look the same......

I still like the look of the black wall tyres Merckx.......

What pedals to you use on this ride????

I think we should get the Zaskars together for a Gap Creek ride sometime....

hi brettels. yep, keen for a gap creek ride with you one day, its my local haunt also.

at the moment, i just unbolt my modern XT spd pedals from my Trek 8500 and use them. i am thinking about tracking down a set of M737 spds for the zaskar, but i also remember how that particular pedal suffered from (on the sets i owned bitd) loose bearing and spindle issues pretty easily...so i also often think, nah, dont bother with them :LOL:

yeah i agree. i like to get somewhere near catalogue or correct, but at the end of the day i really dont care that much about being exactly right, to make it a rod for my back. im also more than happy to comprimise period ideals where there are big performance benefits. tyres is one of the main ones!

generally speaking most weekend early mornings are consumed by mtb of one form or other for me, if that works for you.

Zaskar

Howdy, I get up to Brissie once a fortnight and I bring the bike with me so I'm usually at Daisy or occasionally at Gap....

So will let you know when I'm up next and keen for a spin....

I have two bikes running M737's and yes I have got a bit of spindle play in one set....but very period correct and very solid pedals even after 15 years of riding them......I still have a spare set sitting as a replacement one day....

I have Onza's on the Zaskar and they are easy to maintain....and if need be period correct....

Tyres......I have Porcs on the Zaskar, but I don't think I would ride them either....so I would probably use some Maxxis or something like that....

Update time. So changes to a few details;

•XT Thumbshifters
•M737 SPD Pedals
•Syncros Cattlehead 145mm (thanks racer-x) and 27.0 Post
•Hyperlites
•DX Levers that i found on the side of the road (literally) but to be replaced w some M900 levers shifter mounts removed (thanks GT-Steve)

pretty happy with the setup and ride now, and have been riding it an awful lot. like close to every day.. :D

DSCF9397.jpg

DSCF9400.jpg

DSCF9403.jpg

DSCF9404.jpg

Great looking bike you have there,think a zaskar should be in everyone's man cave!
I like all the photos of how it started through to now goes to show a build is never truly "finished!"

Really nice understated but it still stands out a mile!

I love it :cool:

Back