Salsa Ala Carte through the ages.......

Thanks guys. In this age of modern tech and changing fashion it's so nice that people appreciate that some of the best things in life are those that stand the test of time. Back in '91 Andy the owner of Ssshockwave in Nottingham told me "you'll pass that frame on to your grand children" when I bought it. How right he was. Salsa along with all the other innovators of the period really did make something cool happen. That's why we're all on here chatting to each other, I guess !

I have a few bikes. But this is the only one I could never part with.

Loved it from start to finish - a brilliant job :cool:

Great thread, great bike. Always happy to see storys from original owners of legendary bikes. This site should have a "thread of the month award".
Thank you :D

Love it! Having been out for my wet and muddy first ride on my Ala Carte today, I have to say that had I bought one 20 years ago, I'd still have it too! Fantastic bikes! Better late than never though.
I'm glad you posted the last pics with the jelly beans on; I was feeling a bit disappointed at the pics of it all white and virginal...
Did Ross give you the paint codes for the beans, or was it trial and error?

Hi suburbanreuben,

Post some pics of your '93. I'd love to see it. Yes it's been a life long love affair.
My son is 13 now and well into MTB. He thinks he's hardcore since we went to Coed Y Brenin at Easter, but he's really chuffed with the notion that one day the Ala Carte will be his.
No just yet though..
Regarding the Rasta Flag paint. No Ross did not give me the paint codes. Early Salsa production records would best be described as 'a bit sketchy'. Ross's wife (then girlfriend) did most of the painting in the early days, and she just jelly beaned or rasta flagged or splatted as she felt at the time!!
I took a load of photos of the frame before it went in for repair, then just found the best matches in the Humbrol model paint range. I used a similar size brush and just went for it. I made some of the decals myself (the Pepperman on the seat tube and the 'Hand Crafted In the USA' on the non-drive chainstay). Everything was covered with a few coats of clear lacquer, then Paragon Tapes Helicopter tape over all the crucial areas and decals.

suburbanreuben,
I just noticed you have a Soulcraft. They are made in Ross's barn you know.
I really want one of those and I think the Option 3 is what I would go for.
How does it ride compared to the Ala Carte?
Sean Walling did some of the work on mine when it was originally made, yours too probably. I'm sure he was still at Salsa in 93.

richardpaulbaker":1acrh9v4 said:
suburbanreuben,
I just noticed you have a Soulcraft. They are made in Ross's barn you know.
I really want one of those and I think the Option 3 is what I would go for.
How does it ride compared to the Ala Carte?
Sean Walling did some of the work on mine when it was originally made, yours too probably. I'm sure he was still at Salsa in 93.

It's uncanny, I felt right at home on the Salsa. It is extremely similar to the Soulcraft; the same poise, balance and stability, but the O3 is quicker steering. THey share the same "all day" suppleness in the rear triangle.
You can see and feel the family connection; the O3 has, though, learnt a few more tricks along the way.
Here's a link to my Soulcraft thread; http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=option3

There's a short history of them somewhere in there.
and this is my new baby;

Attachments

• DSC01600.JPG
    DSC01600.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 602
  • DSC01598.JPG
    DSC01598.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 602
Hi suburbanreuben.Where did you buy the Soulcraft? Were you specially fitted up for it?
I love the idea that those frames are made using all the old Salsa kit. I've watched the video of Sean making a frame on the website over and over. Sheer genius.
They reek of MTB heritage.
I want one !!

All my bikes have mud on them, but you should see my car; hasn't been washed for over a year, and being white, looks a little grubby.
I picked the Soulcraft up on ebay, for not much money. The seller had picked it up in the US while on business but it was too big for him. His wife finally got fed up with it, as they do...
I was looking ,vaguely, for a Dekerf and Dekerf was one of the keywords in the title. There were no other bidders.
I would love to have Sean make me one to measure. I have a pretty good idea of my own personal geometry, but to go that little bit further...
Maybe next year, in 2013, and then find an '83 Scoboni...

Back