Raleigh Flyer

HillmanImp

Dirt Disciple
Good afternoon everyone,

I have just dug the Raleigh Flyer I got in 1987 for my 11th birthday out of the garage and am doing a quick resto on it as its looking slightly worse for wear.

2012-04-26202930.jpg

2012-04-28105211.jpg

2012-04-28104154.jpg

It has rust where it had languished in the back garden at my mums house for a couple of years but only one bit I am concerned about where a bucked wheel has been rubbing on the frame (furthest away from the camera).

2012-04-28171638.jpg

However I will see what it is like once I have stripped it down completely and taken off the paint. I will probably weld it to be sure before I paint it.

I assume the dip in the frame (nearest to camera) is meant to be there too? There is no paint missing that would indicate that the frame has been hit with anything and the shape is very even?

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get Raleigh paint codes? I suppose I can just go for a nice polar white or something mind you, its probably not that important (maybe the same colour as my Audi as if I have some left over I can use it on that), however I thought I would ask. I have done a search but could not find anything.

I am keeping an eye on ebay for stickers but if anyone knows a good source please can you point me in the right direction.

I also need to get the bottom bracket out as don't have a tool to do that but will probably head to a local bike shop and act stupid and will hope that they offer to do it for a couple of quid rather than buy one as will probably only ever need it twice, unless someone has any handy hints on how to do it without a c spanner? I suspect it will be quite hard to shift though so a proper tool will more than likely be required.

Scotty

Looks like you have taken it apart in the living room :)

The dent in the chainstay is meant to be there, it stops the chainrings from hitting the chainstay.

Shaun

Midlife":2c297tyj said:
Looks like you have taken it apart in the living room :)

The dent in the chainstay is meant to be there, it stops the chainrings from hitting the chainstay.

Shaun

Close, I dismantled it in the conservatory. I keep my other bike there too as there have been a spate of break ins to the garages round here recently (by removing the roof!!!! nice and cheap to sort out!!!) so I am keeping them indoors. The reason I started is as I am meant to be working on a car outside but with the poor weather putting a stop to that, I was looking for something to do.

I also sold the bike I use to ride to work so need something good for treading the roads so it seemed like a good idea to get cracking on with this as I have been meaning to for the last 15 years.

I thought the dent was meant to be there but thought it best to check as did not want it to break the first time I used it. Thanks.

Scotty

silly question................but haven't you grown a bit since you were 11 years old ?

Won't it be just a tad small :)

Shaun

PS what's the Lancia on the drive

Its a Lancia Fulvia. Believe me its not in better nick. It looks fuggin great from above:

2012-01-09084121.jpg

2012-01-09084102.jpg

but pretty grotty underneath:
2012-01-25120508.jpg

Have already done the other side:
2012-01-20123844.jpg

2012-01-20144330.jpg

2012-01-20162534.jpg

Its the opposite of the bike which looks rubbish but so far seems pretty solid.

I am welding the Lancia up properly (it has been repaired badly in the past hiding all sorts of horrors) to sell on for a profit to pay for a respray on my 1964 Hillman Imp. I also own a 72 Triumph GT6, a 73 DAF 44 an 86 Audi 100 and an 87 Volvo 740 (as featured in last months Practical Classics even though it is a total heap).

Also, re the size thing. I have got a fair bit bigger since I was 11 but my parents bought me the bike to grow into as it was a pretty big purchase those days I suppose. I could barely reach the floor when I got it. Its not too much different now as I am not the tallest person in the world but its an adult bike and I will be able to ride it.

Scotty

I forgot to ask. I would appreciate some advice on some wheels. I don't want to break the bank but would like to know what wheels I should get that are still cheap but also strong (I am sure there have been developments that reduce buckles since I last rode this bike). I wont be riding it like a mountain bike as I did riding though the woods when I was at school though but the roads in Leeds are awful so it will still take a bit of a battering.

I suppose I am looking at up to £100 for both wheels?

Scotty

I'll type more later but that's a bit extravagant for a pair of wheels........I guess the whole bike is worth about 30 odd quid........likely more in nostalgia terms though :)

Shaun

Midlife":3s7szgpr said:
I'll type more later but that's a bit extravagant for a pair of wheels........I guess the whole bike is worth about 30 odd quid........likely more in nostalgia terms though :)

Shaun

I am not worried about the relative value of the bike to its components, I am just looking at getting the best out of it as a day to day bike, but yes I realise it would be a lot cheaper to buy a second hand bike and nostalgia is pushing me to get this particular bike sorted. :D I am determined to keep as much of it as possible original though as I don't want it to turn into Triggers broom. ;)

If I can get them cheaper than that then its all good. Have been mountain biking for several years spending £££ on EVERYTHING so £100 for 2 wheels seemed cheap :oops:

Back