Harry Hall

I built quite a few frames for HH in the mid to late 80s,they did build on site when I used to deliver but only specials as far as I can remember

I'd hazard late 70s and maybe even early 80s, due to over BB cable routing and clamp on gear levers combined with allen key rear brake fitting. Unless the latter is a later frame drilling. I have a 1982 frame built by Steve Roe (ex Falcon) that has over-BB cable routing and non allen key brake fittings; some builders stuck to the old ways into the 80s. The forks are not original, of course; if you want it period-correct, you need a nice pair of 531 forks.

Difficult to judge the "level" from the pics. Are the rear drop outs Campag? If so, then most likely a good racing frame. If lesser (e.g. Gipiemme), then more likely to be a mid-range frame. I'd guess the latter, as the lugs and brake bridge are pretty plain. But what really matters is how it rides, of course.

I grew up hanging around HH's shop in the 70s and used to lust after a HH frame. By the time I could afford one, I'd cast my eye further afield. Still tempted to get one for old time's sake...

Nick

nammonk":25fbt90t said:
btw, did you sort out your hubs (worn cones)?
If you're still looking, wblenkin has been selling Campag hub spares here of late, and there is always campyoldy (http://www.campyoldy.co.uk). Wonderful resource.
Yes , I sorted the nuevo tipo hubs, found a good front one on ebay and used all the internals. The back one I fitted new balls on to the original bits ,ran it for 1000 miles ,then cleaned out and fitted another set of new balls ,seems fairly smooth now.
Great link to campyoldy.

Thanks for the very enlightening post's,do you suppose that the bike was built with the shimano 105 rear mech ? I just assumed that it was fitted when the bike was refurbed,when it got the reynolds refurbished sticker , the stick on letters,red paint and alloy forks.

nammonk":1yzwubw2 said:
From the one pic I can see including the 105 mech, it looks more recent than the frame. I'd guess a respray in the early 90s. You can date it by (a) the model number, and (b) the secret date code on the back: see http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm#shimano

I would agree with that assessment. Either that or it was bought new post 1987. Harry Hall's was based on hanging ditch then and had a big cellar. It was there they did the 'January sale clear outs' and get rid of all the old stock 531' race bikes with 15-25% discounts.

Checked the rear mech,no's are RD1055,would indicate april 93. the bike has simplex frame mouted levers,if it had been made with the Shimano gear ,surely it would have shimano levers,so that tells me the bike was re painted and upgraded after 93.
Anyone know who Mike Gadd, the wheelbuilder who fitted the mavic 700 rims ,is?

Mike Gadd was a rather fast time trialler in the 70s. Went to work at Apple Bikes in St Annes near Blackpool. I'm afraid I don't know how good a wheel builer he is :)
Nick

Loving all this info Nick.
Well he built the wheels ,and they still run true,probably after 20 years.
Being from Blackpool would fit in, I bought it off ebay, from a chap in Blackpool,my brother in law picked it up for me,and my wife on one of her visits to see family in lancashire brought it home to Scotland.

Great to see another Harry Hall! I've just posted mine which I'm guessing is late 70's. I tried emailing Harry Hall, sent photo's but never got a reply. It seems things have changed from the days of the ever helpful Harry Hall himself!

Back