Yates Diabolo Build

Hi Neil,

It's looking really good! must admit I prefer the black P2's, a black Salsa or Tioga T-Bone Stem would look great too...

Going to be starting work on my project soon, first step is stripping back the ghetto powder coat :)

Cheers
Stu

Thanks Stu.

I think I prefer the black forks too, but at this stage it's more about fit than anything else.

I now have an impressive collection of 1" quill stems that are not quite right. I think I have a black Tioga, but it's 150mm, so a little long.

For now I want the get the bike on the road, and then I'll start to fine tune things.

Just waiting for a front mech to arrive and then we are in business.

stu":2zoc1km5 said:
Hi Neil,

It's looking really good! must admit I prefer the black P2's, a black Salsa or Tioga T-Bone Stem would look great too...

Going to be starting work on my project soon, first step is stripping back the ghetto powder coat :)

Cheers
Stu

Fitted a salsa pro moto stem to my diabolo this afternoon... perfick!

Its covered in mud at the moment, will get some pics up soon though.

Ref your stem, FWIW when MBUK reviewed the Diabolo way back in't 90's, they fitted a 150mm stem over the stock (shorter) one because it improved the handling. It might be worth a try.

Mine runs a 125mm stem but I'm a shortarse.

I'm trying to reproduce (as a starting point) the same seat height and handlebar position as my Zaskar, but I can't quite get the height.

When you look at reviews of any of the British hand made bikes from the 90's, they usually had stems made by or for the frame builder, and often they had a higher rise than most of the commercial, stems. Hence I have the bars about 25mm lower than I'd like.

All of that said, until the front mech arrives, I can't give it a decent try, although I have had a whizz around with it as a 7 speed, and it felt OK.

A retro covered in mud? :shock: Just the way it should be ;)

Well, that's it, for the initial build anyway.

Just completed a 15k on / off road shakedown, and already I REALLY like this bike.

Very brief spec.

Frame: 1995 Yates Diabolo 731
Fork: Kona Project 2, 1" threaded.
Headset: Tange Seiki 1" Threaded
Wheels: Mavic 230 SBP
Hubs: Shimano DX
Skewers: Shimano XT
Tyres: F: Panaracer Dart. R: Panaracer Duster Pro
Brakes: Shimano STX V-Brake (cos they were cheap)
Cranks: Shimano DX
Pedals: Time ATAC
Front Mech: Shimano XT
Rear Mech: Shimano XT
Bottom Bracket: Cheapo Shimano
Stem: Zoom
Bars: Ritchey
Levers: Shimano LX (cos I really like them)
Grips: Specialized (softest grips LBS had)
Shifters: Gripshift 7 X 3
Bar Ends: X-Lite
Seat: Charge Spoon (very comfy)
Seat Post: Kalloy 27mm

I'll upgrade a few bits'n'bobs as we go, but for the moment, it's done.

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

And my imaginative solution to the lack of bung on the stem.

DSC_0060.jpg

OK Stu, get yours finished, and we'll meet up for a ride.

Very interesting build. I think I bought the "other" frame refered to in this thread last week. I'm going the same way with it - using what I have etc to get it rideable.

So far I have a wheel set, bars, stem and saddle sorted. I'm collecting a eBay special on Saturday that has some xt kit on it that I will try to transplant.

Hope it all works!

Back