1991 Rocky Mountain Cirrus **New project** Update 10.10.2011

It seemed to make perfect sense to me to have all the 1991 Cirrus' re-builds together to compare notes and ideas for future readers to cut corners and save time searching. There aren't that many Cirrus' still out there in good condition. Just thought that we should all stick together. :LOL:

Your bike looks great by the way. Thanks for all the tips!

We're did you dig this thread up from? I've been looking for it for a while now :D :oops:

Just waiting on a front M732 hub and I'm ready to build. By the way the polished fork crown, freshly painted fork legs and new Syncros decals look the business :cool:

Build spec;

Sycros composite fork - refurbished
Syncros cattleprod stem - refurbished
Syncros Shotgun Bar NOS
Grips ?
UNO 27.0 seatpost black NOS
Seat quick release NOS QR M730
Cantilevers NOS BR M732
Rear mech RD M735
Front mech FD M735
Chainset FC M730
Bottom Bracket NOS UN 70
Pedals NOS MT 60 with toe clips (no straps yet)
Cassette 12-28 NOS HG 70
Rapidfire lever set ST M095
Headset NOS HP M736
Hubs NOS FH M732 and HB M730
Araya CV7 Black NOS

Hi Mossy,
Well I bought an old Cirrus in Norway for £50 last week and had no idea at the time what bike it was. The guy just told me it was Rocky Mountain and he paid £2500 for it in Oslo in around 1992. So intrigued I searched t'internet and found this thread. So many thanks for starting it!

I've started my re-build already as the summer is short here and got to get in quick. I've worked like a slave on it this week! I just need some nice Deore chainrings and a new brake set. I'm thinking of putting silver Deore V-brakes on it as they're cheap and decent. What do you reckon? It did have Deore LX cantilever brakes on it when I bought it and they went straight in the bin. Here's a pic as to where i'm at so far. I have a new black/grey RM saddle to go on there now. Bought it online so just have to be patient and fit it. Should be 100% finished this time next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 538
elalpine":3qrpxg5v said:
Hi Mossy,
Well I bought an old Cirrus in Norway for £50 last week and had no idea at the time what bike it was. The guy just told me it was Rocky Mountain and he paid £2500 for it in Oslo in around 1992. So intrigued I searched t'internet and found this thread. So many thanks for starting it!

I've started my re-build already as the summer is short here and got to get in quick. I've worked like a slave on it this week! I just need some nice Deore chainrings and a new brake set. I'm thinking of putting silver Deore V-brakes on it as they're cheap and decent. What do you reckon? It did have Deore LX cantilever brakes on it when I bought it and they went straight in the bin. Here's a pic as to where i'm at so far. I have a new black/grey RM saddle to go on there now. Bought it online so just have to be patient and fit it. Should be 100% finished this time next week.

Did you spraypaint and/or cut the original Syncros seatpost? :shock:

BTW, it looks like you have the seatpost turned around backwards.

It wouldn't come close to being how I'd like to see it built up, but I guess I can say I'm glad to see it still will be getting used. It actually doesn't look half bad in black. ;)

:shock: …what am i saying ?!?!?! :LOL:

I sprayed it but i'd never cut it. There was no syncros decal on it anyway and it was badly scratched and really tatty. There is evidence that there was a decal and it said "SV" Thanks for the seatpost tip. I hadn't seen one before and must have bought it backwards as it went back on the way it came off. Maybe post a close up pic to confirm if it is?

Anyway each to our own. I like bikes that fit my needs. This set up suits how I like to ride the forest trails by my home. Short steep climbs and plenty of stiffness. :LOL:

yes ;)

the two bolts should be about even relative to the ground. right now the front is higher than the back one.

did you spray paint over the headset as well. :(

regardless on how you build it, as long as you're riding it, that really is all that matters. ;)

No mate they're O/S black Ritchey headset locking nuts I had from an old project. I sprayed the original frame cups black as they were turquoise and pretty revolting tbh. If anyone wants the old syncros stem that was on this it's now for sale dirt cheap, It has some rust and has no decals. It's a load of heavy junk if you ask me.

The plan is to use it daily. Bikes are for riding, adapting and modifying. Things break and things get changed. One thing I know and that regardless of age this is still a great bike today with years of battering left in it.

elalpine":12ogch9d said:
No mate it's a new O/S black headset. If anyone wants the old syncros stem that was on this it's now for sale dirt cheap. It was a load of heavy junk if you ask me.

The plan is to use it daily. Bikes are for riding, adapting and modifying. Things break and things get changed. One thing I know and that regardless of age this is still a great bike today with years of battering left in it.

Do you have a picture of it, the one on the bike (when blue) doesn't look syncros to me.

Back