Chainstay chain anti-slap pulley thingy!

gs'er

Dirt Disciple
In the mid 1990s I had a little add-on chain pulley that clamped onto the chainstay just behind the chainrings. It did a wonderful job of keeping the clanging chain at bay during bumpy descents. I took it off the bike years ago for cosmetic reasons (it was anodised pink) but now miss it.

Anyone any idea what these things were called and who made them (I thought it may have been USE but I not sure). Even better anyone got one to flog?

Cheers

Paul

USE made one but the more common one was the Mr Crud DCD. Somethimes pop up on Ebay, even new old stock. I also remember a Ging branded version, but you will probably find a DCD on fleebay.

Could have been a Kore chain reactor?
Better solution I found was the bullet bros device that adds extra tension to your rear mech, got two still in use and they're ace.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I do remember the Mr Crud one but it wasn't that. The names Ging and Kore don't ring any bells so I don't think it was one of them.

Agency_Scum, I might be interested in the one you have if you can post a pic or describe the colour/condition (I don't want to repeat the pink anodised look again).
Let me know (forum or pm) what you want for it.

Thanks again

Paul

<goes off on a slight tangent>
I sometimes wonder at the rear mech doing two jobs - tensioning the chain and moving the chain across the block to change gear. If you seperate the two functions you could have something like the kore chain reactor that tensioned the chain by pushing upwards halfway along the chainstay. The rear mech could then be made much more compact with only one jockey wheel. This would give
1) better ground clearance, no rear mech hanging down
2) better chain wrap around the front and rear rings (not being pulled away from the block)
3) higher chain tension at the front rings reducing chainsuck
4) Fewer parts and less leverage on the rear mech so less chance of sloppy gear shifts.

Anyway theres probably 100 reasons why it won't work. Almost bodged a prototype once with a wrecked rear mech, one day!

Oops, a bit late but 'ere goes...

1zcp9c3.jpg

Agency_Scum,

Thank you for posting the pic. I've just got back a visit to City Cycles in Chichester where I managed to pick up a brand new Mr Crud DCD for a fiver. I think it had been sitting in the cabinet for a good few years and they were just glad to get rid of it.

So thank you for posting the picture but I don't think I'll have a use for a second "Chainstay chain anti-slap pulley thingy!".

Cheers

Paul

Latest posts

Back