Disc brakes, the basics?

I think many problems with Avid hydro's is improper bleeding but that does not solve sticky piston issues.

Shimano deore or XT brakes get my vote (simple bleed proceedure as well) as do Avid BB5 and BB7. Hope mono mini's have served me well for about 7 years. Very reliable front claiper rebuild only once. Levers untouched and rear caliper untouched. Bleed only a handful of times.

letmetalktomark":3eb20fe6 said:
Avid cable discs - Yes
Avid hydro discs - No

Magura for the win - Specifically their Louise model.
Or if you're a bit more dainty than Mark, Martas.
You'll get a decent used set for £125-150, or a new pair for about £220 in CRC's sale. Having used Martas, I'm not in a hurry to try anything else. ;)

Can I reccomend Saints, pads expensive but stopping power like nothing else :D

Never tried Magura Hydros but they do look tidy, German engineering so I would have thought they worked well!

Fitted Formula Oro k18's onto my 2002 Kona Kula,

Probably one of the easiest jobs ever done on a bike.
Fitted them a few months back now and no probs.

Very pleased with them :)

My BMX ran with a Hope M4 on the front, and a Hope Mini on the back, and despite being a heavywieght, it stopped in a sixpence

G

Neil G":wurtvki2 said:
Can I reccomend Saints, pads expensive but stopping power like nothing else :D

Never tried Magura Hydros but they do look tidy, German engineering so I would have thought they worked well!
5 year guarantee... Anyone else offer that? :?
Just look at the number of old maggie rim brakes still providing sterling service. ;)

letmetalktomark":1yr9wqx1 said:
Magura for the win - Specifically their Louise model.

+1 from me.

On one of my bikes, I've used Magura Louise brakes since 2004 with nothing more than a pad change every so often.

I've just bought a bleed kit as they're starting to get a bit 'mushy'... after 8 years!

Brilliant.

AVID cable disc for road are silver, mtn are darker grey IIRC

TEKTRO also do ball bearing cable discs which work well.

Cable discs are all about the pads spacing IMO... not something you have much control over with most hydraulics.

Dead Rats":3r4f8td7 said:
AVID cable disc for road are silver, mtn are darker grey IIRC

TEKTRO also do ball bearing cable discs which work well.

Cable discs are all about the pads spacing IMO... not something you have much control over with most hydraulics.
I had a silver BB7, for v brake levers...
Most hydro brakes space the pads automatically. On some, eg Louise, you can do it on the fly with a knob on the levers.

Back