My 'new' Peugeot

Nice find there .. Love the old Pugs but then Im biased heavily as well !

From memory I had one of them when I was 14.. It was the model after in white/blue. It had a cotter pin 48T chain set and simplex gears.
27x1 1/4 steel wheels. Valeo/Soubitez lighting with a dynamo as far as I recall... !

I ended up stripping it down and my old fella sprayed it up in white red and blue after Stephen Roche won the 87' Tour. I fitted a new BB axle and a 42/52 chainwheel, chrome forks and 700c wheels. The frame I sold to a friend - Never seen it again...!

Thanks for the nice responses!

Gave it a good clean and a lube on Saturday and took the rack off. Cleaned up nice. Took it out for 10 or so miles on Sunday afternoon once the showers looked like they had done for the day.

Friends are saying that I should take off the changuard but I quite like the French art deco look of it. And it'll suit my commuting use for it too.

I'll get shot of those shopper pedals though for some flat chrome touring ones though. Is the pedal thread a standard thing? Can I just get some new pedals off of Wiggle these for instance...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-sylvan-road-pedals/

Or was there some strange obscure French thread used in the 70s?

Ta

Attachments

• cleanpug.JPG
    cleanpug.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,031
The pedals are probably 14 x 1.25mm thread which is a little bit smaller than the 'standard' 9/16".

It is possible to get them re-tapped otherwise eBay France is a good place to look.

Dushan Ivekich":2srppwtb said:
I have a soft spot for pugs also. I may be wrong but could it be a '72 G50C?

http://www.peugeotshow.com/images/1972_9.gif

There's loads of other catalogues on their site, have a look through.

My Dutch is a bit rusty but isn't that bike for 8-11 year olds? I had a good scout through those old brochures though and I reckon I've got a modded one of these...

http://www.peugeotshow.com/1975nl_07.html

There gearshift is in the right place, it's a 57cm frame, the decals all match, the braze ons are in the same places, the pedals and chainguard match, heck there's even matching colour given as an option.

The nice folk at Wiggle reckoned those MKS pedals should fit ok so I took the plunge...I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I hadn't seen that site before so thanks a lot - all very useful!

I kind of agree with the intro of the site - the Pug I've got is probably one of those low spec'd bikes, but the French do 'utility' really well - look at the Citroen 2CV and H van - so I've no issue with that. And I won't be doing intergalactic miles on it at any one time - 30 per run max I'd have thought - but that said, it is a very comfortable ride and once I'm on I do feel as if I could keep on pedalling all day.

The MKS pedals did fit a treat in the end and I've replaced the saddle with a Selle Italia turbo. Well, utility it may be but what the hey, a girl's gotta dream!

Attachments

• Pug2.JPG
    Pug2.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 354
Good to know that MKS pedal fitted well!
I am also thinking about those ones for my bikes - they are excellent modern version of French touring pedal aren't they - although MKS is Japanese company, their design is nice.

About the 'utility' thing, I agree with you.
We want to use our bikes for everyday runabout purpose so it is rather convenient that they are not super rare expensive bike.
Or I even can't just pop in to a shop for shopping ;)

Totally agree - just this weekend I've nipped to the supermarket on it, gone to the park with my daughters, and this evening a quick 20km blast round the lanes.

The MKSs do look the part but after many years of only riding mountain bikes and being used to the extra ground clearance I've caught them a few times already when pedalling round bends. Good honest battle scars!

So I take the Pug to London as I'm overnighting there with work and I usually enjoy cycling in London. After work a gentle spin along the South Bank but coming back to the hotel going across Trafalgar Sq from Whitehall to Charing Cross Rd, a motorist guns for an exit whist still on my right and knocks me off. I'm sprawled out on the road but wondering what the hell just happened, he asks if I'm ok but clears off pretty soon after that, I'm still in a bit of shock to know what to do other than check nothing is broken and get myself and the bike safely onto the pavement.

Since then some nice bruises have developed on my thigh and forearm and there was a nice gouge out of my helmet - which I've now replaced.

Anyhoo, enough about me, apart from a scuff on the new saddle and some more scratches on the pedals the Pug is fine. Good old French Utility lives to ride another day!

Good to hear you and the bike are okay - nice of the git to stop and help you up, but you're probably lucky he stopped at all. :roll:

That's a nice bike, I see a few around where I live. The comparison with 2CVs is a good one - they just go on and on. Never mind the utility though: the price of 2CVs is starting to go through the roof in France - I'd keep hold of that Peugeot if I were you... :shock:

Back