I think I have had it with rim brakes

Good hydraulic discs are great, no doubt about it - and superior to Vs in every way. But V brakes still allow us to ride "slightly retro" bikes without expensive modifications, and for that, they must be loved. I find my Vs quite acceptable for dry rides and dig out the "modern" bike for wet rides.

Switching from V's to discs was like the jump in stopping power and control between cantis to V's but having tried several setups now discs can still be fussy devils with choice of rotors and pads making a big difference to performance. Previous Hope Mono M4's with Hope rotors were a very distant 2nd to Avid Juicy Ultimates with Hayes rotors - why ? No idea.
Still will never beat the BMX rear coaster brake though !

I do agree that there are big differences in discs when it comes to brand and ease of bleeding etc. I can only really speak for experience with Shimano as that's the only disc brakes I have run for any length of time and worked on.

I did have a set of Avid Ultimaes on a loaned bike and they were crap (leaked from both reservoirs) but that was a manufacture defect and not setup and probably quite a rare occurence anyway.

Reluctant":2xzejf33 said:
Good hydraulic discs are great, no doubt about it - and superior to Vs in every way. But V brakes still allow us to ride "slightly retro" bikes without expensive modifications, and for that, they must be loved. I find my Vs quite acceptable for dry rides and dig out the "modern" bike for wet rides.

My 1998 FSR loves its disc brakes :LOL:

20120408_124540.jpg

The callipers will be swapped at some point for BB&`7s though..

To be honest though, they are CRAP, compared to the Avid Elixer R`s on the Boardman, they are simply awesome (203 front disc 180 rear)

PS. i think cantis/V`s would be a better idea though for a commuter type bike, nice and simple, less things to go wrong etc etc.

One of the lads at work uses an old Muddyfox pathfinder for his commute!

I love magura HS33's especially ceramic rims, I've never had to bleed them in over ten years. however two second hand sets I've bought recently have needed bleeding which is such a pain!!

S-M":3nx8o6qr said:
PS. i think cantis/V`s would be a better idea though for a commuter type bike, nice and simple, less things to go wrong etc etc.

One of the lads at work uses an old Muddyfox pathfinder for his commute!

I use Vs on a commuting bike used on a canal towpath which gets very, very dirty and the brakes work well. Getting through quite a few blocks though and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the rims will need changing :(

i was using formula megas on my litespeed and they were so powerful,
but after selling the litespeed to fund my 1990 klein attitude, i am now having to get used to cantilever brakes again. but the formula megas were awesome. and i dont regret selling the litespeed to buy the klein.

Back