rebuilding my old Dave Yates - I'Eroica Ready

looks like a fun time to me I will enjoy seeing the progress! pretty bike. model shops are great for the paint, small bottles and tons of colors. Came in handy for my girlfriends Raleigh that had some major paint issues. and for some minor touch up on my Viscount. Have fun and don't get too hung up on perfection.

time to get on with this build, been collecting some parts over recent months and now almost ready to build

also managed to get some enamel paints, which my other in law is going to mix/colour match for me. i've prep'd a number of the bare metal chips and scrapes, leaving the scratches for hopefully some coloured polish.

in the mean time, need to make a saddle decision.

rolls saddles by gmac123, on Flickr

the black belongs to this bike, it had a suede concor saddle originally, but the rolls replaced it in the late eighties...

however the white, will go better with the white tape, cables, lug lining, and seat tube panel... only it's pretty tattie, with a chunk missing from one corner and a number of other scrapes and signs of wear.. :? :? any suggestions out there for a make over :?:

I vote for the White but I really like white saddles even tatty ones just like this Regal I have on this 66' PX-10.

Attachments

• px10 .JPG
    px10 .JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,606
I just think White is classy! Some white touch up paint can help blend the scrapes away I had to do that on that Regal. I glued the torn leather down and used a paint marker to make the tear blend a little better. Just a thought. Good luck!

yip, pretty much a fan of the worn (and torn) look myself, all my bikes have a well used look about them, no garage (shed) queens in my shed :LOL:

think I'll try some neutral shoe polish on the white saddle, a few coats to try and restore some of the wear, but no great effort envisaged..

I've decided the white's better for the build, and I have a mtb to build which the black rolls will look good on

so, next up, 1 pair of MA40's on Campg Chorus with DT spokes.. Bearings degreased and re-greased, and lashings of chrome/metal cleaner applied to hubs and spokes.

wheels by gmac123, on Flickr

I've purchased some modern 25mm tyres for I'Eroica purposes, sadly not anything amber wall / retro. but atleast I'll get to wear the tyres out on the winter bike once used in Italy.. the only retro tyres I have lying about are 20c :roll:

the wheels are skewerless, so need to find a matching rear one for the odd campag skewer (tipo, I think)I have in the box of spares or find a proper pair on fleabay or the for-sale section

DSC00229 by gmac123, on Flickr

onwards and upwards

g..

Looking good G, what tyres did you get? Did you not fancy a Pasela or even a 4 season GP?

kaiser":2fagbx6y said:
Looking good G, what tyres did you get? Did you not fancy a Pasela or even a 4 season GP?

bought them some time ago, and tbh I canny remember what make they were. the man in the LBS recommended them, saying they'd be popular winter tyres with the club.

didn't do any research prior or I would have probably gone with the panaracers. I know I'm going to regret not having a walled tyre on the final look but hey ho, I'll be happy once it's on the road :D

Looks lovely, class colour and nice lug lining.
Glad you decided to keep the original
colour scheme, a few scrapes are all part of
a bike being used.

ok back from holiday, the frame has had it's touch up and is now ready for building. hopefully all parts are present and correct.

only a month to go, so better get this rebuilt and get a number of shake down miles in

Paint Work Issues by gmac123, on Flickr

the colour match is ok'ish (to my colour blind eyes),

the brushed touch ups don't look great, seemed to get a better effect on the small chips by dabbing with a cocktail stick

onwards and upwards

managed to find some shed time, started with some sizing up looking the position to sort of similar to current modern road

DSCN0163 by gmac123, on Flickr

with the stem chosen, the build began at last, need to get it ready for the weekend for a shake down. found a 30 tooth mtb block in the shed, but as suspect it's atleast 2 teeth to big for tension :cry: :roll:

DSCN0166 by gmac123, on Flickr

not happy with the look of the tyres, have a set of old 20c continentals in good condition, but too narrow for eroica

Back