Raleigh Gran Sport

Old Ned":d7eqa7wc said:
I always liked this bike, it was good value at the time.

Sue Fenwick of Essex RC rode and won lots of races on one of these at the time.

Hi,
Sue Fenwick here. How lovely to see a photo of the Gran Sport and in pristine, original condition too including the toestraps, saddle and brake hoods.

I bought mine at wholesale price (£180 or 280, I can't remember) from Brown Brothers in Sarf London in October 1982 (my Dad had an account with them).
Apart from borrowing posh 28-hole sprints with Clement Number Three tubs for national championships, I rode all my races (time trials and road races) on the bike exactly as sold.
It handled beautifully, it rode beautifully, and it was kept alongside my bed so I got to know every inch and wiggle of the transfers, lines and shapes on it.
It took me to gold in the 83 national 100, silver in the 83 50, silver in the 83 best-allrounder, and it won the Cambridge road race which was one of the events in the women's national (Jo Bruton) series in July 84 too.
Never had any technical probs with it and brakes were fine. They were "of their time" - ie not as good as today's brakes ;-)
Surprisingly, I never saw anyone else in the UK racing scene at the time using one.

What happened to mine? Well as it got to the age where it needed bits replacing on it, instead of doing that, I had a 753 racing bike built which I never really got on with. Meanwhile the poor old GS, showing scars from road race crashes and general wear and tear, became my commuting bike... When the gears needed replacing, it became a commuting fixie...
When the paint and chrome got really bad, I handpainted it with black hammerite. Total travesty! Hid its true pedigree well. Still a responsive light bike to ride. Some scumbag saw through the hammerite and nicked it one day from Mile End London.

Never saw another one in real life until I saw a pristine one, one day only, locked and parked in a cycle rack at Cambridge University.

Good memories of it. Enjoy yours!

Hello Sue, nice to see you on here - and about time too! I've been dropping hints on the TT forum for ages. ;)

Still haven't found the review in Cycling yet! I'm currently sifting through back issues looking for other things (such as Toledo's!) so I might find it yet.

Found piccies of Sue though :D

Old Ned":1qrjam8b said:
Hello Sue, nice to see you on here - and about time too! I've been dropping hints on the TT forum for ages. ;)
:D

The GS was a much better looking bike than these modern carbon fibre things, my PX stealth included.

suechoccy":1ru4bwni said:
Old Ned":1ru4bwni said:
:D

The GS was a much better looking bike than these modern carbon fibre things, my PX stealth included.

We'll have you riding Old Skool yet!

Gives you an excuse (sorry - reason) for maybe not going quite as fast as you used to.

Well, that's what I like to think anyway :roll: :cool:

I realize this is way late and you might not even have the GS anymore, but here is a very squiffy picture of the catalogue description ;)

Attachments

• GS 1.jpg
    GS 1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 852
who is this heroic Hereford based hard-rider "Ed"??

Old Ned":2ke89dh8 said:
wired99":2ke89dh8 said:
Oh please do Ed, be real keen to see that...(

ED?? Please don't get me confused with the heroic Hereford based hard-rider ;)

It may take some time to find it!

Hi,
Sue Fenwick here. How lovely to see a photo of the Gran Sport and in pristine, original condition too including the toestraps, saddle and brake hoods.

I bought mine at wholesale price (£180 or 280, I can't remember) from Brown Brothers in Sarf London in October 1982 (my Dad had an account with them).
Apart from borrowing posh 28-hole sprints with Clement Number Three tubs for national championships, I rode all my races (time trials and road races) on the bike exactly as sold.
It handled beautifully, it rode beautifully, and it was kept alongside my bed so I got to know every inch and wiggle of the transfers, lines and shapes on it.
It took me to gold in the 83 national 100, silver in the 83 50, silver in the 83 best-allrounder, and it won the Cambridge road race which was one of the events in the women's national (Jo Bruton) series in July 84 too.
Never had any technical probs with it and brakes were fine. They were "of their time" - ie not as good as today's brakes
Surprisingly, I never saw anyone else in the UK racing scene at the time using one.

What happened to mine? Well as it got to the age where it needed bits replacing on it, instead of doing that, I had a 753 racing bike built which I never really got on with. Meanwhile the poor old GS, showing scars from road race crashes and general wear and tear, became my commuting bike... When the gears needed replacing, it became a commuting fixie...
When the paint and chrome got really bad, I handpainted it with black hammerite. Total travesty! Hid its true pedigree well. Still a responsive light bike to ride. Some scumbag saw through the hammerite and nicked it one day from Mile End London.

Never saw another one in real life until I saw a pristine one, one day only, locked and parked in a cycle rack at Cambridge University.

Good memories of it. Enjoy yours!

Hi Sue, please excuse my lateness in replying, I hadn't looked at this thread for ages! Thanks for the bit of background on yours, gutted to hear you had it nicked mind.. :(

Mine is just undergoing a 'spring clean' at the minute. I have stripped it all down and going through everything with a fine tooth comb.. I am replacing the callipers as it just don't look right without them. Its a truly beautiful bike to ride - I think its my favourite but don'r tell my other bikes! - just so, so comfortable. She will be a rider for years to come hopefully,

Thanks again for your input here :)

Wired99

wired99":2lp4ssaw said:
Thanks for the bit of background on yours, gutted to hear you had it nicked mind.. :(

Mine is just undergoing a 'spring clean' at the minute. Its a truly beautiful bike to ride..

Wired99

Thanks to a tip from Hilts, I've just bought an all-original one last night which I'm picking up this weekend, correct size for me too, so I'll also be spring-cleaning as well as reliving my yoof.

Back