What to do...Clockwork 1998

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi Guys, new to all this discussion stuff, can any one help me make up my mind? Just picked up a 'like new' '98 Clockwork (the snot green one) but I have plans that don't involve some of the kit on it. Are the Hot Rod bars, RST381R forks or Wavey 7 speeds worth anything nowadays as they are so retro, or should I really keep it all original and leave them on the bike.....

Hi, Thanks for that, this is all really interesting, almost worth being home in the pouring rain with the 'flu!! Except now I'm torn.... really wanted risers, rapid fires and rigid forks...perhaps I'll do that on the Kona which I was going to single speed (1998 Fire Mountain)..... Arrrggghhhh!!

Depends on what YOU want to do with the bike. If you plan on riding the bike I would say do whatever you need to maximize your own riding experience.

We are the market for these parts/bikes so I say build to your hearts content. There are lots of ways to go - you can focus in on a few parts and pay top dollar to get them or wait for bargains and build what the retro Gods will to you. If you are patient and dedicated you can maybe even buy and sell a bunch of parts, keeping your favorites along the way and making a little profit for your troubles.

Hi! Yes, I think I can go with that, it's what I normally do and with a bit of patience (not my strong point!) I have usually ended up with a bike that's cost me very little. Will go for age related bars, etc, though, so that it looks like it was upgraded at the time... It has even crossed my mind to stick drop bars on it, bar end shifters... All parts that are in the bits box!! It already has some pricey road slicks on it too...

the good thing about projects is you can build it as you feel like, ride it, strip it, rebuild it with a different parts combo & repeat as many times as you can afford / be bothered with until it just clicks for you.

i've got an 89/90 clockwork that is still rigid but is running hope mono hubs, full sram x-9, arch rival v's, modern ish finishing kit etc. It goes against what many here believe in as far as 'retro' goes but it works for me & thats all that matters.

....you realise that when the '98 Kona frame turns up today I shall be off on another tangent again... perhaps I'll pimp that up and keep the Clockwork exactly as it is...

Or change the clockwork to as you want it BUT keep the original parts to refit should you ever chose to sell on

sylus":2ptdsqjv said:
Or change the clockwork to as you want it BUT keep the original parts to refit should you ever chose to sell on
Yup.

If you do change parts, keep all the original bits.

Oh, rule no1... pics of the bike!

Back