Who's ridden a 29er and didn't like it?

I don't think rider height is an issue with 29ers. Take Willow Koerber for example. She is 5'1" and she was winning world cup races on a 29er before she decided to start popping out sprogs with Myles Rockwell.

personal experience it felt as safe, and as planted as a road bike on ice.

too much gyroscopic effect from the wheels at high speed for the riding position and the wheels felt "twangy" and very flexible. it was too far off the ground for the fact that it only had 5" of travel. like a barge to steer. I hated it.

i would be better off buying a cyclocross bike.

I just love my 29" FTW. It has noticeable advantages on all the 26" I've had, alu, carbon, steel or ti. However, it really depends on your riding style, your pedaling habits, the places where you ride.

Personally, I'm an xc rider, spin low gears (I used to spin low gears even when I was fast), have no problems on singletracks, have (conversely) serious difficulties on fast turns, so I need an ultra stable bike. The FTW is very rigid up front, and a flex free fork makes it a rather quick steerer. The 29er concept seems to be tailor made for me, and I've ended up using my sweet 26" IF steel bike (so no crappy plastic) only for really smooth wide open paths (the Tuscan "Strade Bianche... if you've raced "L'Eroica" you know what I'm talking about) where lateral stability is not an issue.

On the other hand, another rider might hate it for the same reason I love it. Then, you can refuse how big wheels look, but just keep in mind it's looks, not performance, you're talking about.

I've only ridden one 29er for any length of time, and it's unfair to base an opinion on one bike. My impressions were that it had great traction, good stability and excellent momentum; all pluses in my book. The down side was loss of agility and speed of steering, which seems to come from the increased gyroscopic effect of the bigger front wheel. The bigger, heavier front wheel just wants to stay upright! You know when you've ridden something good, because getting back on your own bike feels Micky Mouse, but I was very happy to be back on my own bike. (and relieved that I don't feel the need to spend money on another new bike) :LOL:

stevet1":w02cuu0h said:
Neil - slightly related - how do you feel about 22" BMX's ?..

Not sure about that one, TBH when you watch BMXers riding big trails they are going very fast and don't seem to have problems on 20 wheels, there's also the added factor that if you build good, smooth trails there really isn't any need for bigger wheels and suspension. With the tricks that are being pulled nowadays speed of turn/agility of a 20 wheel must be a factor.

I have ridden some 24 wheel bikes (cruisers) at the trails and although I did quite like the feeling of stabilty at speed they just felt ever so slightly 'slower' if you know what I mean.

I haven't ridden a 29er offroad but I'm sure it's a similar thing, as pointed out above, it just suits different people's riding styles. I rather like the acceleration and nimbleness of a 26 and am prepared to pay the price in comfort!

Well thanks for the input everyone.

No-one managed to dissuade me from what was the likely path, and bearing in mind the only way to see if I like 29ers is to ride one I did the decent thing and bought my own. :LOL:

Deals on 2011 Karate Monkeys were just too good to turn down so.....

SAM_0393.jpg

...this one is now mine. :mrgreen:

Not had more than a quick spin around the block to check I had bolted all together OK, but should get a ride out this week.

Baaaaa. ;)

firedfromthecircus":3pf617cu said:
Well thanks for the input everyone.

No-one managed to dissuade me from what was the likely path, and bearing in mind the only way to see if I like 29ers is to ride one I did the decent thing and bought my own. :LOL:

Deals on 2011 Karate Monkeys were just too good to turn down so.....

SAM_0393.jpg

...this one is now mine. :mrgreen:

Not had more than a quick spin around the block to check I had bolted all together OK, but should get a ride out this week.

Baaaaa. ;)

Nice score, enjoy it!

Over the years I've had 2 gt peace 29er's, a cannondale 29er and recently a 2012 gt karakoram 29er.
So it's fair to say I've given them a fair go.
I can see a use for 29er's on non technical enduro style tracks, riding around a paddock or commuting as they do roll in a straight line nicely.

When riding on single track with medium technicality the bigger wheels seem to slow them down, giving the bike a slugish feel.
On sharp slow up hill turns the longer wheel base becomes an issue, giving the bike a slow wide arc that you really have to learn how to fight.
Again on slow up hill turns the whack head angle (29er's have a steeper head angle to stop the wheel base getting even longer) gives the bike a feeling of wanting to fall over when the momentum slows down.
After spending a good amount of time and patience on both I'm now more than ever in the 26 inch camp.
29ers have to make so many sacrafices with geometry to accomodate the larger wheels that the negetives out weigh the positives.
29er's are here to stay but will only ever make it as an enduro bike.
XC, DH, DJ, 4X and trail riders won't ever fully embrace them due to handling and strength issues.
26 inches is my wepon of choice.

Back