Disinfecting drinking bottles?

Its the growths that are in a vacuum that you really need to watch out for. (Anaerobic?)

Most in camelbaks and whatnot have access to oxygen. Im not saying that all growths with oxygen supply are safe but i think theyre safer (i.e your chances are better of it being ok).

Just wondering if inhaled would or could the algae spores carry on growing in the body or blood stream, spreading the same as in water :shock:

Raging_Bulls":1v9yp1pl said:
Has anyone got any tips for disinfecting drinking bottles or should I just bin them and buy new ones every time I don't ride for more than a few days?

Milton or bleach and store them dry, in the freezer if you want. Just carry water in them and take some jelly babies if you want something sugary.

After every ride, I'll wash the bottles and fill them with water.

There's your problem :)

+1 for Milton tablets or fluid to sterilise them. Wash in hot water, give 'em a good scrub to get the goobers out, Milton. Dry, and store dry.

And +1 for the dishwasher too, not shrunk or melted one yet.

add a treaspoon of rice to the cleaning solution and shake vigouruosly - the rice will clean off any hard to reach and stubborn mould spots.

MADJEZ":2bvqaj03 said:
futuristicoldman":2bvqaj03 said:
Bicarbonate of soda takes away the mingy taste afterwards.

Good call, Alka Seltza is just glorified bicarb at 4 times the price.

Another tip, drop of vanilla essance in water left to soak for a bit will take away manky taste/smell from bottles but won't be enough to flavour drink after rinsing.

Well bicarb and citric acid to make the powder/fizz and aspirin to do the job.

I just rinse mine through and then every now and again use some milton, stronger than normal (of course you leave it for longer as well as you forget about it.
It's a Tesco cheap camel back but the bladder itself is better than a lot of the expensive ones I've seen. It' not 'plasticy'.
Never had a bad taste no matter what's been in it and never a bad build up. I just use the pre-made stuff (which is a bit different to the tablets). Tablets should be better. Tesco's also make their own version for cheaper if I remember correctly.

You tap water must be bad if you have to use bottled water, over here it's often the same stuff.

Back