Beast of the East

I'm not sure why but my touch-up paint looks miserable in that rear derailleur picture...that is the only spot which was a little mucked up, the rest of the frame polished up nicely! :D

Very nice - is that an 18"?

Those hangers(?) at the top of the canti straddle wires are cool - what are they?

That looks feckin' lush :cool: (And I don't like Cannondales) great job and right about the forks they look just right, well done- look forward to the finished pics.

Little Bob":2n470ugq said:
Very nice - is that an 18"?

Those hangers(?) at the top of the canti straddle wires are cool - what are they?

I´ve got a 20" frame hanging around somewhere, and this one looks like the same size to me.

The frame is a 20. The hangers are X-IT Designs Dual-eez. X-IT was a small component manufacturer in Boulder CO back in the day. The designer was Frank Vogel, who worked with Paul Turner at Rock Shox before X-IT, and I think still works with Paul at Maverick.

One more thing...if you look closely at the hangers, you'll notice that they use a fixed length double ended Shimano cable on one side and a regular ended brake cable on the other. All cable ends float in the hanger just like the cable end in your lever. The benefit is that all cable lengths pull straight with no lost pull ratio used in bringing the cable tight/straight as is the case with most hangers. No Flex in the cables means more power. When set up properly, these were by far the most powerful hangers I've ever tried. They look neat too...like little grey aliens with big eyes! :D

Beast of the East...DONE!

Done!

Frame - M800 Beast of the East 20" Viper Red
Fork - Kona P2-II
Headset - King Devolution black
Stem - NOS Syncros Cattlehead
Bar - NOSControl Tech
Levers - Tektro Love-Lever wannabes
Grips - Cannondale
Brakes - NOS Deore DX cantilevers with X-IT Dual-eez hangers
Post - NOS Deore XT
Clamp - Salsa
Saddle - NOS SDG Slim Jim glitter gold
Cranks - NOS Sugino Impel
Rings - Sugino
Pedals - DX 636
BB - UN-71
Rims - Velocity Deep-V 32h blacks
Hubs - Deore XT - 9spd conversion
QRs, Deore XT
Rear Deraileur - NOS Deore DX short
Front Derailleur - Deore DX endless loop
Shifters - Dura Ace 9spd with Paul Thumbies
Cassette - SRAM 970

The DX front derailleur is not NOS, I decided that rather than use an NOS unit, I'd use an older DX I had lying around, which originally came to me mounted on my first Beast back in 1993. Full circle. Rode it to work today and it was smooth sailing!

Attachments

• beast2small.JPG
    beast2small.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 1,418
  • beast1small.JPG
    beast1small.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 1,418
Looking really really good :cool: the BB height gives a great stance. You've got me all excited now too as I'm building a 92 with pepperonis as a single speed, just collecting the parts now. Was red also but had been stripped and polished.

Back