TI Raleigh 753 1980

toomski":2446mv0c said:
Are you going to ride this beauty.... hope so

Definitely!! I actually really can't wait. I just hope I get a chance this year! It would kill me to go over another winter. There is just so much to do and so much money to spend, parts to buy, wheels to build (only once I've sourced the correct rims, spokes and tubs) but I will definitely be riding this bike.

Brilliant.... I know that feeling of having to take time and getting all the parts .... that's part of the appeal though despite driving you loopy. When I built my Pug PY10 I would constantly would look over every angle imagining it built up and pedalling it... does that make me a nerd?...... Bet there is enough of us here....

That Raleigh will be

Rolling artwork...

originalshinkicker":q8e74gfr said:
It's always nice getting new parts delivered! I'm trying to keep mine as original as poss where I can. I would love the weight savings but originality is key for me. I'm going for the Regina Oro. Just read the campy timeline and the 7sp SR block needs 130 spacing, so I could never get that in the back of a 753 (unless someone out there has?). What tubing are you? Can you have it set to 130? I've been eyeing up some titanium SR pedals but they are just too expensive. I'll be happy with the std weight when it's built. It won't be too bad for a 32 year old steel bike, I'm sure.

I've decided to go for a nice gold oro too! the price (and fit) from a 7sp SR means it's not going to happen. I'm 531c and 126mm and the '84 Bulgier catalogue does indeed show a gold oro as standard anyway. I too am looking at the nos Ti SR pedals (ebay, £302 in the US) and decided that's absolutely silly money! and they aren't massively lighter than std SR pedals anyway. And they are known to snap at the axle :shock:
With your f&f's being 753 you've got a good weight saving already, I think the bulgier raleigh catalogue shows an '83 531 SR team bike at 22lbs so you should be a good half to three quarters of a pound lighter than that :cool:

shawnb":37c4to66 said:
originalshinkicker":37c4to66 said:
It's always nice getting new parts delivered! I'm trying to keep mine as original as poss where I can. I would love the weight savings but originality is key for me. I'm going for the Regina Oro. Just read the campy timeline and the 7sp SR block needs 130 spacing, so I could never get that in the back of a 753 (unless someone out there has?). What tubing are you? Can you have it set to 130? I've been eyeing up some titanium SR pedals but they are just too expensive. I'll be happy with the std weight when it's built. It won't be too bad for a 32 year old steel bike, I'm sure.

I've decided to go for a nice gold oro too! the price (and fit) from a 7sp SR means it's not going to happen. I'm 531c and 126mm and the '84 Bulgier catalogue does indeed show a gold oro as standard anyway. I too am looking at the nos Ti SR pedals (ebay, £302 in the US) and decided that's absolutely silly money! and they aren't massively lighter than std SR pedals anyway. And they are known to snap at the axle :shock:
With your f&f's being 753 you've got a good weight saving already, I think the bulgier raleigh catalogue shows an '83 531 SR team bike at 22lbs so you should be a good half to three quarters of a pound lighter than that :cool:

I've been weighing as I'm going; the bare 57cm 753 weighs in at 1645gr and bare 753 fork at 639gr so I'm hoping for something reasonably light.

That's good weights, the frame especially. My 54cm sbdu 531p weighs in at 1802gr for the frame and 648gr for the forks for comparison ;)

shawnb":3jnjuu4q said:
That's good weights, the frame especially. My 54cm sbdu 531p weighs in at 1802gr for the frame and 648gr for the forks for comparison ;)

Interesting, I always thought 531Pro was pretty much the same weight as 753, perhaps yours has heavier lugs. My 531SL tubed MKM weighs 2348 for the bare frame and forks which is pretty close to originalshinkicker's 753. Of course it's no where near as strong.

Mark.

Really enjoying seeing this come together. I have a 1980/81 Gios Torino Super Record, that your Blog will be an inspiration for...I think I'll go down the road of Wordpress too, but doubt my Images will be as nice...
Good Job!

claret73":2vm5xzvn said:
Really enjoying seeing this come together. I have a 1980/81 Gios Torino Super Record, that your Blog will be an inspiration for...I think I'll go down the road of Wordpress too, but doubt my Images will be as nice...
Good Job!

thanks claret73, being a photographer does help with the images; I just try to add a few words to the images on the blog post.

daccordimark, I know that there may have been metric and imperial reynolds tubing which may have differing guages. Mine was built with the thinner guage (801) metric 753, drilled front and rear dropouts etc before 753 changed to imperial in 1983ish - there were also loads of variations on things such as fork crowns and BB shells which I suppose can affect weights slightly.

AndyPA":gof3zp0r said:
I dont think that year of Campag & SR groupset will ever be surpassed for its simplicity ,beauty and quality.
This bike/build is going to be a real dream.

+20000000

still the most elegant of components from a fantastic period in cycling

Latest posts

Back