THE HIGHWAYMAN CHALLENGE....

Nelly - have you tried a compact chainset? A double with 50/34 rings or similar? That's what I use most of the time (including on the Bianchi on Arran) and it gets me up most hills, eventually..... :D

Think I have a spare campag one if you want to give it a go. You'd need a compact specific front mech though......

Also have a campag record triple but have never fitted it to a bike yet _ too many alterations to do - both mechs, axle length etc :roll: Was gonna put it on the Yates Scot but canna be ersed :roll:

nelly":8oopg8pc said:
Ok, I'm back in......though I did struggle a bit on the climbs on last years run around Arran - combination of a lack of fitness and the limited gear range on my 12 speed Galaxy - my TA crankset is a double. Maybe I should think about a more granny like ring on the inside? Please advise if you know of such things.........

Thanks Mr P, but I'll stick with the TA crankset for a while yet...might just try a smaller ring on the inside. Gotta keep it retro!

Nelly, if you want to keep it old school and dont mind dropping to a 5 speed freewheel, try one of these :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RACER ... 3cc51aaeae
That would give you a somewhat lower bottom gear than the 14-28 freewheel i presume your currently using ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
velomaniac":34vt1ru0 said:
Nelly, if you want to keep it old school and dont mind dropping to a 5 speed freewheel, try one of these :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RACER ... 3cc51aaeae
That would give you a somewhat lower bottom gear than the 14-28 freewheel i presume your currently using ;)

do you think you'd get away with a short cage mech and a 32t sprocket??

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Maybe but a medium cage would be better. I have a coleague who has a rather nice old school 12 speed racer that he runs with a 14-28 freewheel and sports an XT medium cage rear mech. Thus a short cage on a 32T would very probably be pushing it in the extreme.

Have just entered and was wondering how many others will be there? Looks good will be nice to ride in an area I have never been before will be riding my 1995 orange clockwork with slicks so will not be as fast as the road bikes

Just a heads up for any entrants. Slight route change (due to a surface problem on a section), but the new section is still great. A specially commissioned trophy is up for grabs for the Retrobike of the day, so make sure yer steed is looking good... :cool:....See you all on Saturday

;)

Great event will definately be back next year shame about the mist but some great climbs and great roads and managed to get round in under four hours on the clockwork a bit tougher than I thought it would be but got carried away with the pace of everybody will get some training in for next time and be a bit more prepared

Back