1993 Rocky Mountain Hammer (Final Pics added, pg 4)

Thunderchief":f12nxjrg said:
Thanks, quite a bit of elbow grease has gone in to this so far, hope it looks as good in reality when its finished as it does in my head! ;-)

Love your two Rocky's, especially the Blizzard its lovely. :)

Simon.
They're both Blizzards ;)

Mine look wonderful in my head, I just ignore the battered paint, even the places I curiously scrapped large amounts of paint off over the winter then hap hazardly plied with Kurust and didn't read the bit about not getting it on the paint.
It's usually covered in a mist of mud or more, so you never get to see it ;)

I even forget that it has modern parts on it sometimes :LOL:

FluffyChicken":2017vsd1 said:
Rio":2017vsd1 said:
The mag 21 fors can be a 93 model too. if they have a 19 mm top cap i think they are . 94 and up had bigger (22?) mm top caps.
but a rigid fork may be better anyway !

1994, only year to use Alu stanchions. Which is good as it's the first year the internal porting/spring/oil setup matured.

hmm, allways thought mine was a 93, but also thought it has alu stansions... Fluffychicken, do you happen to know the weight difference of the 93 and 94 models?
thanks!

As Per Captaincosmic's request, here are some pics of me and the bike back in the day, horrific as they are! ;-)

First pic was taken in Dalby forrest sometime in 1994 just before I fitted the Rockshox, I can tell because I got the jacket just before I got the shox! ;-)
The Bike I pretty standard here, just some Onza HO pedels.

Second Pic was taken at I think Eastridge, at one of the 1995 NEMBA XC/downhill races. running Gripshifts and Mag 21's now, no Spin yet don't think I got that until 96. Can't see the cranks properly but I think I have my "silly" 50 tooth chainring on. :) The Pic was scanned from an MBUK "The Official Guide to the 1996 Karrimor British Open Series" supplement. my only claim to fame! ;-)

Cheers

Simon.

Attachments

• SimonNEMBA1995.jpg
    SimonNEMBA1995.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 955
  • RM-Dalby.jpg
    RM-Dalby.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 956
I've been Servicing my RockShox Mag 21's today, I'm not going to be painting these so I've just cleaned them up and replaced the oil and reset the oil depth to match the travel (60mm ish) and my weight. Hard to tell if I've been successful until I put them back on but they felt nice and smooth with low pressure, better than before.

Thanks to whoever shared the Rockshox service guide on the archive, very handy.

I also checked a couple of local powder coaters out today, unfortunately neither of them could match the colour in powder, so It will be done with normal paint. Unless anyone have any better ideas.

Gil_m is working away on the stickers, and from what I've seen so far they will be great, so I really hope I can do a good job with the paint.

I've only really got the barends to finish off now, and them it's on to the frame, I won't touch it until I have the stickers and paint sorted though.

Cheers

Simon.

Attachments

• 2012-04-14 18.54.39.jpg
    2012-04-14 18.54.39.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 919
  • 2012-04-14 14.54.15.jpg
    2012-04-14 14.54.15.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 919
  • 2012-04-14 13.22.30.jpg
    2012-04-14 13.22.30.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 919
The forks look in amazing condition paint wise, given tit has a tendency to flake off from the axle area and the braces also blister and the paint flakes off.
You must have looked after you bike quite well. Saying that, my legs where not too bad until I started using them again :oops:

The guides here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... e/Service/ was it the Sutherlands one you used or did you use both that and the official ?

Hi, yeah the paint has flaked off at the qr and a little at the top. but not too bad. hopefully it won't get much worse.
I've been lucky enough to be able to keep my bike inside for the vast majority of its life, maybe that helped keep them in good condition.
I used the sutherland one, nice general guide to setting them up.

Cheers

Simon.

Quick Update, I finished the Onza barends today, not very happy with the finish, had a bit of a problem with my spray gun or the lacquer not sure which, left the finish speckly. But it will do for now.

If the finish holds up to use, I may re do them properly and sticker them up.

Cheers

Simon.

Attachments

• 2012-04-16 19.49.50.jpg
    2012-04-16 19.49.50.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 852
Another Short update, I've received my new Ritchey Z-Max Tyres and they look pretty good. I wish they didn't have the giant "RITCHEY" logo on them, but it could be worse I guess.

I have also had some paint mixed up, by a very lovely and helpful young lady at Halfords, thanks to them. The paint match is not quite right but its pretty close. I've done a few test shots on to some scrap copper pipe and I've come up with a reasonable finish I've had to add about 10% black.

So I'm just now eagerly awaiting the Stickers From Gil_m, I won't start the paint stripping until then.

Cheers

Simon.

Attachments

• 2012-04-22 12.04.30.jpg
    2012-04-22 12.04.30.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 789
  • 2012-04-21 12.16.15.jpg
    2012-04-21 12.16.15.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 789
Back