Who's ridden a 29er and didn't like it?

Neil G":1d8s27tg said:
For me there is no question that a larger wheel is not as strong as a smaller one so they're probably going to be less suitable for more radical riding (airing, tabletops etc.)

Should be fine :)

IMG_5948.jpg

548758d1276111930-chuck-your-29er-_mg_8545.jpg

neebsta":sf3jmj53 said:
Except if it was a poor product, it would get found out. It wouldn't be endorsed by 'said' athletes as it may have **for example** impacted negatively on their results.

It also wouldn't be having such a dramatic impact on the sale of 26" wheeled bikes. If it wasn't a better product (for most)....Demand must be there for 29ers, as bike companies wouldn't produce 29ers on a whim, or a hunch.

I'm sure people felt the same way when 26" Wheelers entered the fray, particularly when BMX bikes where seen as 'it'.

It's acceptance of change people struggle with, for me I'm all for it. Look at Fat Bikes? WOW, they throw a whole new cycling experience into the mix, all good in my opinion. :idea:

I totally agree with you about the racers.

As for change, I agree that it is a good thing at times. Some people will always have a reluctance to accept change as they are just too stuck in their ways. But I also agree that the companies have product to sell, and changing something and proclaiming it to be better than what went before is one of the best ways to shift new product. Whether the change is actually better than what went before is open to debate sometimes. I am still not totally convinced that hydraulic discs are better than V's for example. But I can voice that opinion as I have both. As yet I have not ridden a 29er so can't comment, though I have a sneaking suspicion that situation will not last for long. ;)

Btw, nice bike neebsta. :cool:

I don't mind change, I recently dabbled in V-brakes and quite like them.

I was one of the first to move to front sus BiTD and never gone back.

I always thought the 'Hybrid' was the perfect bike for the majority of people even though I would never have been seen dead on one (marketing told me that BiTD). It had the comfier position compared to the racer but it benefits and without the downsides of the MTB for the general population and could be ridden on the majority of the countries 'offroad' riding that people do/did.

Looking at the 29ers I see them as the evolved version of that, stick suspension and fat tyres on it and hey presto. Of course that from the armchair and the retro-backlash marketing says they are wrong and I shouldn't be riding them and they know a thing or two :)
;)

I have only rode one, the jeff jones I owned.

They do seem a handful at first but you quickly get used to them, I found it a great experience.

Going down steep sections looks hair raising at first, you do sit high up!

mk9.jpg

5025425643_a47d9c7ea1_z.jpg

I'd have another, probably a steel version in single speed set up, or a surly karate monkey, again, as a SS.

kaiser":qq7k3jx4 said:
Neil G":qq7k3jx4 said:
For me there is no question that a larger wheel is not as strong as a smaller one so they're probably going to be less suitable for more radical riding (airing, tabletops etc.)

Should be fine :)

IMG_5948.jpg

548758d1276111930-chuck-your-29er-_mg_8545.jpg

What 29er is that?

Check the Charge site out for the video of Kye Forte on a 29er...proof that they can be jumped and ridden bloody well BUT what we must not forget here is that he is a world class BMXer and better at riding bikes that the majority of people!

I did a group ride today and didn't see one of the ugly things, and TBH with all the mud I would have hated to have been perched high up on one having the same grip issues as everyone else on 26 wheel bikes!

Neil G":1l6vplg0 said:
What 29er is that?

Check the Charge site out for the video of Kye Forte on a 29er...proof that they can be jumped and ridden bloody well BUT what we must not forget here is that he is a world class BMXer and better at riding bikes that the majority of people!

I think the first one is a Lenz Behemoth and the second is a Canfield. I agree with you the two guys in the pics could probably do that on unicycles. Still they are doing it.

I did a group ride today and didn't see one of the ugly things, and TBH with all the mud I would have hated to have been perched high up on one having the same grip issues as everyone else on 26 wheel bikes!

I'm going to disagree a bit, I will agree with you about the looks. It is the prevailing opinion about 29ers but they do get better the more you see of them and there are some crackers out there, the Niner ones are nice and so are a load of new hardcore hardtailers. As for the grip issue you'd be amazed at what the extra contact patch does for grip I've heard about it and saw it first hand, 2 29ers easily out climbing two 26ers on the same hill. Also I think I mentioned before but your height whilst on a 29er is no different from a 26er the bottom brackets are in the same range and your seat tube/seat post should be no higher either. If anything your centre of gravity is lower with respect to your axles, thus the feeling 'in the bike'. BTW I'm not a total convert I was going to buy another 29" play bike type , Transition/Canfield/ Banshee but in the end plumped for a 26er. More to do with £££ and a wee bit scepticism at how good they would be as a fun bike. I will try one one day though.

Maybe not all are bad, the pace does look quite nice, they do however always look better in bigger sizes as the wheel size is less noticeable.

I got the wrong tyre choice yesterday so had traction issues, still unsure whether a 29 wheel would ahve made that much difference. There were areas where they would have been really quick though and I suppose if your racing that's where you can capitilize on this and cut your times down.

Back