Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Rampage":3iqbdygi said:
Looks like a Torus with different dropouts?
I found your answerphone message yesterday ringo, saying you were at my front door!

It is exactly a Torus. The only difference is it was a made to measure.

....so having read all 39 pages I need some help to identify this badboy...I'm thinking its a Diabalo DX of possibly 91-93ish, but they seem to be the yellow variety and looking at the catelogues of the time they just show the yellow style too. Did it come in this colour or is it a different model? Has DX front rear mechs but LX chainset and deore thumbies, and interestingly a Flex stem? Not sure what was original spec or could it have been built up from a frame set? Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Wook

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,229
Picked this 1991 Dynatech Encounter up last night - will post up better photos at the weekend when I've stripped off all the 'accessories' :LOL:

Frameset & Hope Ti/Campagnolo wheelset are in top condition, bars are purple Fred Salmon alloy c/w purple X-lite bar-ends & saddle is a Velo Titanium, but shifters & rear mech have been downgraded at some point to Alivio :roll:

Good god man, rescue that poor thing quick! :shock: :cry:

Sure there's a belting bike under there somewhere... :LOL:

Does anybody have any experience of un-bonding/rebonding the joints on these? I have a split chainstay :)cry:) and it's been suggested I could swap it for an unsplit one...

Sounds simple! :roll: :LOL:

I really don't think it will be that easy mate. I was discussing my frame with the owner of my local bike shop. He is into his retro stuff and recalled having a guided tour of the Raleigh factory when they were producing these. He mentioned the fact that they had some type of small aluminium blocks within the frame joints which were heated up during manufacturing. These would subsequently melt and seal into the inner contours of the frame lugs creating a really strong bond. I would imagine that removing one of these tubes would need lots of heat!
Saying this I am no expert and a good frame builder/refurber may possess the skills/tools to do this.

jimbog":1899v17h said:
I really don't think it will be that easy mate. I was discussing my frame with the owner of my local bike shop. He is into his retro stuff and recalled having a guided tour of the Raleigh factory when they were producing these. He mentioned the fact that they had some type of small aluminium blocks within the frame joints which were heated up during manufacturing. These would subsequently melt and seal into the inner contours of the frame lugs creating a really strong bond. I would imagine that removing one of these tubes would need lots of heat!
Saying this I am no expert and a good frame builder/refurber may possess the skills/tools to do this.

I'm sure you're right, never really thought it was a reversible process but it had been mentioned a couple of times so I had to be sure! Thanks :)

Back