2000-2001 Santa Cruz Bullit

Stripped the bike down yesterday afternoon and things are still looking ok.

Pulled the forks apart and everything looks ok to me. Gave them a good clean and just need to refill them with some new oil now. They've got Red springs in them at the moment and I have some spare Blue ones. Not sure what the difference is, but will leave the Red ones in and see what they're like. Need to order a pump adapter for them though.

Will rebuild it over the following week or so, making sure everything is how I want it and replacing anything that needs done. Was tempted to get a new pair of brakes for it, but think I'll stick with what I have and see how I like the bike before spending too much on it.

Bit of a change on the forks. Decided to get some with 130mm of travel as would have been specced originally. Got some Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Wedge's. These are pretty light, have an alloy steerer and are air adjustable.

078bc64c.jpg

After fully stripping the bike down it was time start building it back up again. Everything being checked and serviced as I go.

Rebuilt the rear hub as it was showing a bit of play. Fitted a new come to one side, some new bearings and fresh grease and all is sweet. Cassettes back on too, think its a 12-25.

Can't justify new handlebars at the moment so stripped the decals off the old ones and cleaned them up. They look ok, albeit they're a bit heavy.

My mates returned my b/b tool so the chain device can come off now and a front mech fitted.

Still plodding on with this one. Did offer it up for sale, but with two non-paying bidders on eBay it seems destined to stay with me.

I've got the bike fully stripped down now, with the majority of the parts soon to be destined to new homes. Decided to get the front triangle re-powdercoated, probably in Black. Might be temped to get the rear triangle done too, but I don't want to hide the nice CNC'd bit between the upper and lower halves. Going to get a new shock bush for the rear of the shock, as it was showing a little play. Then just to build it back up again! But with what....?!

Do you reckon the frame is heavy?

If its ok ish then build a do it all bike as light as you can?

The front triangle is pretty light, but the rear swingarm is a little heavy and so's the shock. Nice though.

Will be putting some 130mm Marzocchi Z1 Freeride forks on it, double-chainring and some general mid-range stuff. Should make an ok play bike :)

The rear end is quite long

My wheelbase in dh trim was 45" and of that the front end was less than half

Keep this, used wisely it'll repay you a million times over

Will try to keep hold of it. Tend to get twitchy when something else comes up but can't see any real reason to part with this.

Trying to get front triangle powdercoated locally at the moment. Usual bloke needs a new thermostat for his oven. Should look good with it redone in Black.

Back