Who's ridden a 29er and didn't like it?

I love mine, but I'm 6'3". I've got an XL El Mariachi, feels a lot quicker over the rough stuff. Chopped in 2 x Salsa A la Cartes for a 29er - Regrets? No, a much better ride in my opinion ;)

P1020447.jpg

dyna-ti":1zqbv2ar said:
Whats the deal with the frame? is it meant for 29 or just a standard frame and a 29er fork :? yeah?

29er frame and forks.

I rode a 29'er the other year, and not to say I didn't like it but I couldn't tell that much of a difference, if any :?
Based on that ride I won't be jumping on the 29" bandwagon just yet, I just don't think/see that there is actually anything for me to gain by going 29" yet?

kaiser":o2ualhbl said:
Cheers :) rides better than it looks too! Agree with the brifters, they may find themselves swapped to the other Kona. They'll still be fugly but at least they'll shift gears.

Gazz the Ardents are mega. Very grippy but I find slightly on/off you need to commit to the turn. I reckon I'd try something less gnarly on the back one day.

I run exiwolfs on the back and they are very comfy ;)

I think they probably are 'smoother' and may let a lot of clumsier/less proficient riders get away with stuff they wouldn't on a 26. I'm in no doubt in the right hands they may be quicker but I don't think they will make slow riders quick...that takes fitness and some skill!

For me there is no question that a larger wheel is not as strong as a smaller one so they're probably going to be less suitable for more radical riding (airing, tabletops etc.)

Neil G":ofzleci1 said:
I think they probably are 'smoother' and may let a lot of clumsier/less proficient riders get away with stuff they wouldn't on a 26. I'm in no doubt in the right hands they may be quicker but I don't think they will make slow riders quick...that takes fitness and some skill!

For me there is no question that a larger wheel is not as strong as a smaller one so they're probably going to be less suitable for more radical riding (airing, tabletops etc.)

Yeah, what the heck, what do the professional MTB riders know eh???

:idea: :roll: :oops:

Neil G":3h1955vx said:
I think they probably are 'smoother' and may let a lot of clumsier/less proficient riders get away with stuff they wouldn't on a 26.

Ouch! :shock:

Still, a much more effective insult than calling 29er riders sheep. :LOL:

So is it all in the angle of attack from the tyre or is it the longer wheelbase playing a part.

I know between my smaller bike and my large bike the large and longer wheel base of the longer makes the trails very smooth as it seems to roll over everything much easier. Bugger to fit in the car though as it's too long :LOL:.

People should maybe just try a longer wheelbase bike or not try to fit on a one size smaller than you should actually be riding (as was the retroway).

I still think in the 'Worlds' marketing has a large effect, they get paid/sponsored to race. Said company needs a market and different product to flog you so will get the racer to ride where that different product is. They may be athletes, but they are paid to do a job.
I don't blame them, people will buy to try.

But if people like them I cannot see the problem.
I'll tell you if I like or didn't if I ever get a long ride on one.

FluffyChicken":2le8ysb3 said:
I still think in the 'Worlds' marketing has a large effect, they get paid/sponsored to race. Said company needs a market and different product to flog you so will get the racer to ride where that different product is. They may be athletes, but they are paid to do a job.
I don't blame them, people will buy to try.

Except if it was a poor product, it would get found out. It wouldn't be endorsed by 'said' athletes as it may have **for example** impacted negatively on their results.

It also wouldn't be having such a dramatic impact on the sale of 26" wheeled bikes. If it wasn't a better product (for most)....Demand must be there for 29ers, as bike companies wouldn't produce 29ers on a whim, or a hunch.

I'm sure people felt the same way when 26" Wheelers entered the fray, particularly when BMX bikes where seen as 'it'.

It's acceptance of change people struggle with, for me I'm all for it. Look at Fat Bikes? WOW, they throw a whole new cycling experience into the mix, all good in my opinion. :idea:

FluffyChicken":2c58e5u6 said:
So is it all in the angle of attack from the tyre or is it the longer wheelbase playing a part.

Its the increase in diameter, the large wheel can bridge across trail undualtions better than a 26er. This is quite noticable and 29ers have been likened to short travel sussers which I can relate to. Technical stuff is also handled alot better, obstacles that may stop the 26" wheel and hook up the wheel are rolled alot easier with the 29er. I have much more confidence on my Unit in rock gardens and steep rolling drop offs than I do on any 26er. The more you learn about what they big wheel can do the more apaprent the benefits are. It does or did for me take a while, thats why carpark tests and even a couple of hours on one won't really show you what they can do.

Back