WARRIORS AND WARLORDS Chas Roberts & Keith Bontrager

Thud.gif

Awesome write up and very informative for me. I have what appears to be the chromatic opposite twin to your frame. :cool: Albeit in need of some love...

Do you happen to know the weight of the frame alone? I thought my frame was simply a later incarnation of the white spider, I hadn't heard of the ultralight but it looks exactly the same as yours. Was there a 'standard' version which wasn't an ultralight? I only ask because my frame doesn't feel all that light. I only have a crude luggage scale in the house at the moment but my frame comes in at over 5lbs :?

The only difference I can see is that my frame has the addition of a mount for a canti rocker ( I think that's what it's called )

here's some pics:
whitespider01.jpg

whitespider02.jpg

whitespider03.jpg

lovely write up and good looking bike as ever!

Prometheus":3vno4azz said:
Was there a 'standard' version which wasn't an ultralight?

Don't think there was ever a standard version as each was tailor made to suit the owner and their needs. The name 'White Spider' was not applied to a set specification but more to a certain look and price point-each bike varied according to the use and therefore the tubes needed with ultra lite race ones using Nivacrom or Max OR or similar, heavy duty using some of the burliest Reynolds or a mix of everything. Once the race oriented DB came along then the WS became the more hurly burly model before disappearing totally from his line up.

Here's mine from a few years back. It's a 1989 so it's spec is very similar to Dr Bonds Tim Gould race bike with a 753 main tube and Nivacrom mix. It differs slightly from the later ones in that the seat collar faces back, it hasn't got the front mech pulley and is prior to any slope in the TT:

4602808e.jpg

Mines currently being resprayed again with matching fillet forks and stem so watch this space....

Re: WARRIORS AND WARLORDS (part one) CHAS ROBERTS-ENGLAND.

sinnerman":3lo3vga8 said:
I have a passion for it...
very good and informative thread. Oh yes, the white Roberts with spiders on it is great anyway! ..thanks :D

Wow, that's an amazing bike and a great write-up. I read it avidly, I just couldn't decide which emotion was uppermost, envy or admiration.

Breathtaking bike sinnerman, and an informative write-up as well. One of the most good looking bikes on here for awhile.

Back