1994 Clark Kent F14 Ti

:oops: :oops: :oops: The build is a tad stalled at the mo as I forgot I needed some longer brake mounting bolts as I'm also fitting XTR carbon brake boosters - once those are in hand I can carry on the build - better get some ordered!

The canti bridge is going to stay as I would not have been able to remove it and leave the frame in a condition that I would have been happy with.

Also the canti bridge does sort of date the frame and being honest the components I am using are not strictly age appropriate as most of the running gear is XTR M950 series.

The XTR M900 series would have also looked good on the frame and I was mulling over re-building it using it as I do have a full groupset I can use on it. If I had gone down that route I probably would have made it up as a short travel hardtail as I have a pair of Answer Manitou Comp forks that would have a good fit and again are from around the mid 90's.

Ummm, maybe I should build it up as a hardtail......................

Well at last the build is now at a stage where I can ride the bike.

So although now fully built up it still needs a little finishing off but I can do that at a later stage as I just want to get out riding.

I will order some replacements decals from Gil and replace the ones on the forks (they are already in hand).

I will use the time to adjust and fettle things over the next few weeks.

So here are few more pics of the build

CKF14TiTheBuildP9.jpg

CKF14TiTheBuildP10.jpg

CKF14TiTheBuildP11.jpg

CKF14TiTheBuildP12.jpg

CKF14TiTheBuildP13.jpg

CKF14TiTheBuildP14.jpg

And one of the completed ride

CKF14TiTheCompletedBike.jpg

Here's the spec of the bike and where I found all the parts;

Clark Kent F14 Titanium Frame (1994) 19" size large (US eBay)
Pace RC31 C Type Carbon & Titanium Forks 420mm c to a (UK eBay)
Chris King Headset (UK eBay)
Dean Titanium Stem (US eBay)
Dean Titanium Handlebars (US eBay)
Dean Titanium Seatpost (US eBay)
Avenir Titanium Bar Ends (US eBay)
We The People Titanium Bar End Caps (UK eBay)
Flite Evo 3 Carbon and Titanium Saddle (UK eBay)
Shimano XTR ST-M952 STI's (UK eBay)
Shimano XTR FD-M953 Front Mech (UK eBay)
Shimano XTR RD-M952 Rear Mech (UK eBay)
Shimano XTR FC-M952 Front Crank [5 arm spider 48/36/26] (UK eBay and RB)
Shimano XTR BB-M952 (UK eBay)
Shimano XTR BR-M951 V Brakes (Singletrack)
Shimano XTR SM-V950 Carbon Brake Boosters (French eBay)
Shimano Ultegra CS-6500 Cassette [11-23] (UK eBay)
Wellgo Magnesium Single Sided SPD's (US eBay)
KMC X9SL Chain (UK eBay)
IKO Carbon & Ceramic Hubs (RB) laced with DT Swiss Competition spokes to Bontrager Maverick Rims (UK eBay) [wheels handbuilt by Harry Rowland)
Specialized All Condition Pro 2 Tyres (can't remember where from but not eBay!)
Michelin Inner Tubes (already had those)
Elite Tubular Stainless Steel Water Bottle Cages (US eBay)
Standard Plastic Water Bottles (Halfords)
Ergo Style Grips (Lidl - my cheap £5 find!)
Clarks Zero G Brake and Gear Cables (UK eBay)

I think that's it!

The bike weighs 9.35kg or just a touch over 20 1/2lb with empty water bottles ;) .

Am I happy with the bike, hell yes :D

julesg007":3d6pst2a said:
The XTR M900 series would have also looked good on the frame and I was mulling over re-building it using it as I do have a full groupset I can use on it. If I had gone down that route I probably would have made it up as a short travel hardtail as I have a pair of Answer Manitou Comp forks that would have a good fit and again are from around the mid 90's.

The M900 (think that's right) was the first XTR I rode with back in the day. I did end up with some 1995 XTR bits (think they looked the same but had different internals, expecially on the shifters) but always preferred the look. Looks good though, as mentioned in my thread I'll have to see who welded my frame up.

The bike is without doubt the quickest I've ridden and it handles fantastic.

Now I have a light bike all I need to shift some of my own excess baggage and the ride will no doubt improve dramatically.

Hmmm must sort out those decals to finish the build off - time for an e-mail to Gil.

Looking forward to finished decal'ed pics.

Just one thing from me ... those carbon boosters just don't look right. I understand whey they may be needed but I think some anodized black gorilla ones would look better. Those shimano ones look a bit "clunky" for the build.

.....those carbon boosters just don't look right. I understand whey they may be needed but I think some anodized black gorilla ones would look better. Those shimano ones look a bit "clunky" for the build

Yeah I sort know what you mean, in comparison to the rest of the bike they don't look particularly svelt.

Back when I started getting the parts together for the prior build (most parts have were transfered to this build) I came across a pair of NOS SIBEX Ti brake boosters on eBay but was outbid - after losing out I kicked myself as I was a tad stingy with my bids and ended up paying more for the Shimano ones!

Keeping my eyes peeled for another pair but not hopeful.

Latest posts

Back