Bespoked Bristol 2012 Report

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Just 9 months after the first ever UK Handmade Bicycle Show in Bristol, the 2012 edition was upon us. There was a new venue, the pre-show publicity looked like it was going to be bigger, much bigger. John, armed with his 'My First Canon', and I went to find out. What follows is very much a personal perspective.

The UK Handmade Bicycle Show 2012 www.bespokedbristol.co.uk was based at Brunel's Old Station, basically part of the Templemeads complex. Waiting for The Guvnor to negotiate the one way system (he was within 10m a good quarter of an hour before he actually pulled up), I lounged outside on a wall in the sun, people watching. It was a battle between pretty girls with their floaty dresses and summer legs and bicycles. Steel bicycles. Although they were only Surly (frames not girls), the bikes won out. I'm not sure if that is necessarily a good thing to admit. Anyway, before I got the fury at a fixed conversion of a Corsa Extra, John arrived.

As we made to enter the venue we were stopped by a pleasant security guard - "have you got tickets?". I was affronted - didn't he know who I was? Clearly not, as he would have realised that I don't need anything as grubby as a ticket to gain entrance. Thankfully John said "our names are on the list" and we were whisked inside.

First impressions? Bigger than 2011. Much, much bigger.

6863604306_5a4e425f8f_b.jpg

And even more earnest young men with beards and what I took to be ironic caps. The sleeve tattoos were an addition though.

To the bikes. Many builders had returned (Rourke, Donohou, Enigma, Feather etc.) and it was great to see that Roberts and Mercian were represented, although I was sorry not to see a Bob Jackson stand. Here's some that caught my eye in particular.

The Brian Rourke 953 with SRAM Red looked superfast and it was great to see that on such an up to date bike there were still some visual throwbacks, like the wraparound seat stays
6863607086_0b78e68078_b.jpg

6863609316_9c475dedca_b.jpg

Everywhere you looked there were Brooks saddles, even when they clashed with the build. It was refreshing to see that some builders bucked this trend - see the Rourke above for example - as to my eyes a blinged up titanium frame with SRAM Red and a Brooks looks sort of clunky (and with leather bar tape? Seriously?). Still, the tyranny of the Brooks may continue for some time

7009718703_10744f429e_b.jpg

Royce were well represented and their hubs and bottom brackets were as jewel like and silky as always. They also had some tasty engraved cranks on one of the stand bikes
7009715899_88453519f1_b.jpg

Showing that steel can be as feathery as anything made of carbon, Waterford had a crazy light bike on display - not sure how they got it sub 16lbs with a standard Ritchey WCS stem and post but if light is right and steel is real then, like the late Davy Jones, I'm a believer.
7009699187_c38b75c3f9_b.jpg

Pride of place on the Demon was their NAHBS winning bike, unfortunately replete with Brooks (this is sounding like I have an issue with Brooks, I don't at all, but can't really see them as the ideal saddle for a modern racing bike). Tidy enough detail although I wouldn't have placed it in the Top 10 of the bikes I saw. Which clearly says more about me than about the bike.
6863594202_dffa270340_b.jpg

6863595262_e67831b259_b.jpg

I'm not sure that it was the most expensive frame on show, but the £4,600 Independent Fabrication must have been up there.
6863574952_b45b55c4d9_b.jpg

Can't recall which bike this was on, but loved the deck of cards spider
6863563402_13d387a500_b.jpg

Counterpart to many of the try hard builds was this beautiful Chorus equipped Swallow in Columbus Max. It might have been from 1988 but it looked bang up to date for a steel bike. Good use of a Rolls too.
7009655807_c9330b7f60_b.jpg

So, what was my bike of the show? As soon as I saw the Pergoretti Lugino I knew that it was 'the one' (ok, so it's got a Brooks, but who says that I can't be contrary?).
7009666831_b488b04c66_b.jpg

7009663311_a164717039_b.jpg

6863547968_de31bf3fc2_b.jpg

I started off by saying that the 2012 show promised to be bigger but wondered if it would be better. There were many, many more stands and loads of bikes but, strangely, for me there was less to see. That might have been due to attending the quiet press launch last year and having chance to talk to people on the stands, whereas this year was part of the show itself and really buzzing with people. Or perhaps there are only so many pretty steel lugged bikes topped with a Brooks that a man can view before becoming jaded (did I really just type that?). Regardless, "chapeau" to the organisers for pulling off such a great event although, for me at least, bigger isn't always better.
6863561664_7f11d1d7ef_b.jpg

The Show is on until 25th march 2012, so get along if you can.

Check the whole set of images here, on Flickr.

Ed, John.

My apologies for posting pics in the wrong place, i saw the title.. Bristol Bike show, and loaded pics without reading the thread first... :oops:

Hope everyone enjoyed the show as much as we did..... :cool:

With so much quality how could anybody possibly choose what they liked the most... :?

I was quite taken with Paulus Quiros though, some of the details of the frame and build were exceptional.

I particularly liked the invisible integral lock system...( great considering the cost of such a bespoke build).

I also liked the frame design and the toe clearance afforded it for the bigger 29er format.

And i really was impressed with the belt drive, and the gear system.

Not forgetting the build quality and the general passion for his work, that was clearly evident for all to see, when speaking to Paulus himself.

And to top it off all made in Carmarthenshire.

:cool:

Attachments

• 028_186.jpg
    028_186.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 9,246
  • black%20mountain%20bike%20back_0.jpg
    black%20mountain%20bike%20back_0.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 9,246
  • black%20mountain%20bike%20logo_0.jpg
    black%20mountain%20bike%20logo_0.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 9,246
  • black%20mountain%20bike%20side_0.jpg
    black%20mountain%20bike%20side_0.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 9,246
Ed+John,
you're welcome to park at our place next year. Me and Debs will make you a nice meal if you like and it's a 15 minute walk to the station.

Now thats a nice frame!!!

Go back to the BMX frames from the 70's and early 80's and you see where the frame builders get their designs from, SE quadangle in this instance.. :shock: :shock:

Did anyone else notice that the Leonardi Racing brochure is held together by a single red-anodized torx-head chainring bolt?

I almost wish I'd picked up five...

Back