1996 Judy XC rebuild - FINISHED (page 7) 30/05/12

These are what you want...

...along with a decent replacement cartridge if you can find one :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Steve
I had my Judy's re-coated by a Powder Coaters, but due to the Magnesium they advised & did put a base coat on first (of what this is I can't remember) Take a look at my Lobster link in my Sig & you'll see how good the coating was...
As above, the forks are really easy to take apart & rebuild. I had 2x pairs & swapped out parts that I knew were OK. The bushings in mine were fine, no play, so I didn't have to do that which does seem to warrant RS Tooling. My Mate refilled the damper & I upgraded to 'Kronos' Springs from EBay (US). I trickle some lube on the stanchions prior to riding and always clean around the seals meticulously to save scratching them.
I wish now I had done a Photo rebuild...It really isn't difficult if you have good parts to strip, clean & rebuild...

Since we are on this topic, I was having problem trying to replace the seal kit with the "current" Samurai version and it seems like it is too big to fit my Judy SL 95/96 with removable canti brace. Do they match?

tourist":5xuk4pqz said:
Since we are on this topic, I was having problem trying to replace the seal kit with the "current" Samurai version and it seems like it is too big to fit my Judy SL 95/96 with removable canti brace. Do they match?

Too big as in a bit tall, or too wide.
If they are too wide then it's for a different fork.

If too tall then it's for the newer late 90's version and early 00's
You just put up with the gap, it's only a dust seal anyway.

It's too wide... Didn't know that the newer Judy forks have bigger outer diameter seal. Looks like it is impossible to find the right seal for the older Judys.

tourist":253q3b62 said:
It's too wide... Didn't know that the newer Judy forks have bigger outer diameter seal. Looks like it is impossible to find the right seal for the older Judys.
Not really, just buy the 28mm ones that are on eBay and I believe tftuned website.

I bought the 28mm from ebay. The inner diameter (28mm) fits the stanchion perfectly. However, no matter how hard I try to fit into the fork, it just won't fit as it is just a little too wide. I'm not sure if I didn't try hard enough, since the Enduro seal guide did mention that seals are extremely tight fit.

I have tried to freeze it, add tons of grease, and it won't even fit in any further than 2mm.

tourist":fk3bshv6 said:
I bought the 28mm from ebay. The inner diameter (28mm) fits the stanchion perfectly. However, no matter how hard I try to fit into the fork, it just won't fit as it is just a little too wide. I'm not sure if I didn't try hard enough, since the Enduro seal guide did mention that seals are extremely tight fit.

I have tried to freeze it, add tons of grease, and it won't even fit in any further than 2mm.

In fact I think it was the seal change in 1997/8 that made them externally wider either that or the move to HydroCoil and the XXX seals and they do not fit the old 95/6. So ignore what I said before :D

I'm sure there is some bodge way of doing it.
Only know as I came across the same problem.

Someone will know.

I can measure them though.

I did read from some forum stating that newer Judys (1 piece lower legs) uses a different seal, which is why the Enduro seal for Judy forks will not work on the early 95/96 Judy.

There's very little information about the seals compatibility, so I took a gamble, and I "lost the bet". Maybe I can still fit the new seal by trimming the rubber.

Steve have you got a pic of the forks as I want to see if their the same model as mines (which need rebuilt to) ;)

Latest posts

Back