Who's ridden a 29er and didn't like it?

clockworkgazz":3hmcpcqg said:
not interested in starting a fight but I have noticed that a lot more enduro races are being won on 29ers

Watching the Worlds the other day, everyone was on a 29er. You find that with most races now.

Personally, I'm a bit ambivalent about them. I don't dislike them, but riding one wasn't the great epiphany people make riding a 29er out to be. I think MTBs will go more and more that way over the next few years and then people eventually will start saying, "Have you ridden a 26" bike? They're amazing, blah, blah, blah." After the 29er trend there will be a counter 26" trend, you just know it.

I've ridden a 29 er , liked the smoothness ,for me a 29 single speed would make a fun bike - will they take over ? Only if the plebs of this world hang off every word written in the mags , which force the manufactures to supply the demand

In a few years we may be defining retrobikes as anything with a 26" wheel ! You never know

tintin40":1k9wk7dj said:
hirosawa":1k9wk7dj said:
After the 29er trend there will be a counter 26" trend, you just know it.

Agree

What if 29ers are genuinely better though?
I am sure that not all the competitors in the worlds are just sheep. These people are athletes who devote a lot to being competitive and surely wouldn't sacrifice that just to be fashionable?
Why did Geoff Apps prefer larger wheels back before mountain bikes really existed? Would Gary and Charlie have gone down the 29er route in the beginning if better tyre selection had been available?
Is the convention for 26ers purely down to historic tyre availability?
Perhaps 29ers are what larger adults should be riding and 26ers for those under 5'7"?
I haven't ridden one, hence why I am asking questions. I don't presume to write the concept off just because I have been riding 26ers for 20 years.

I dont think I would like a 29er. I like a smaller bike to be fair if I could get away with a geared bmx I would try it just cos its more nimble and turns tighter.

fftc, your more than welcome to have a ride on mine. FWIW I'm convinced that in many mtb applicaions they are the best tool for the job. Still not convinced they'll take over DH or Jump bikes though.

i am 5"10 and clumsy. first time out i caught my toes on the front tyre doing a very slow turn. didnt do it again.

you soon learn

plus most turning is done with body weight rather than the bars particularly

The way it's been explained to me is... As kids we all (most of) started on mini burners, moving upto a burner, then onto mountain bikes?
My point is as we grew the wheels on our bikes did. Same with my kids now. I'm not sold on 29ers! And for a purer cycling experience I always return to my BMX even at 30 something. Salty's Jones is one of two 29ers I've had a go on and I guess it felt like the first time you sit on a road bike? The others a full carbon Giant and it was seriously rapid. But i'd bet (or in my BMX, carve, jump, pump etc etc head) I'm having more fun on a 26. I do think it's great we've a greater choice of weapon and there isn't really one ride for everything :D

kaiser":3kwud4s4 said:
fftc, your more than welcome to have a ride on mine. FWIW I'm convinced that in many mtb applicaions they are the best tool for the job. Still not convinced they'll take over DH or Jump bikes though.

Thanks for the offer Kaiser. ;) Might take you up on that sometime. What you got?

Back