RTS build, dithering, daydreaming, ummmming, aaaaaaing etc

jimihendrix

MacRetro Rider
Been pondering the recently bought RTS frame, seems to be two routes i can take.

Fastest and cheapest would be to strip the Zaskar, can use most of the bits off that, the RTS has no facility for canti's so will need V'brakes but thats no big deal, this is what i originaly planned when i bought the RTS.

Second option is a Hot Rod build, something i've fancied doing for a while, take a Retro frame and use modern brakes and running gear, would be using Marzocchi or Fox 80mm forks and Hope discs, riser bars, modern tyres and a 9 speed transmission.

Pretty much like this one here :)

http://www.freshtripe.co.uk/freshtripe/ ... 1A84C.html

Only thing is the build will take ages (and i mean ages as i have other money eating stuff on the go) as i will need to buy everything from scratch, recon it'd be worth it though :cool:

Hot Rod it!
It might take some time but you'll get there in the end.
You'll regret splitting the Zaskar in a years time.

Do both Mark. Build it up now with the Zaskar bits, get to know it... And start buying the modern bits as and when. Seems a shame to leave it sitting unridden.

what about a third option, keep the Zaskar and do a high end retro build- M900 spec would look lush and would be no more expensive than a hot rod route (never been a fan, not one thing or the other, and all that).

Sorry Gazz, a catalogue spec build is'nt for me (nice as it is), i dont think M900 is worth the money it's going for, not a fan of MAG21's and if i bought a Tioga disc i'd smash it on my first ride :LOL:, not a huge fan of those either anyway.

Very much think i'd regret stripping the Zaskar, earlier ones seem to be creeping up in value now, though i doubt i'd get much for mine as it's a bit of a dog.

Anyway, just earmarked a set of Hope Mono Mini's and a pair of XT disc brake hubs on E-bay, there's an A2Z rear disc adaptor on there too so i think the RTS's fate is sealed :)

I'm with Gazz all the way with this. Not that I've ridden one but is the RTS not a bit of a dog ridewise? Theres a reason URT's died (no matter what velo says) so modernising it is really a turd polishing exercise. It is a retro classic though and a period build would IMO be the best path. Keep the Zaskar as the rider and build a 'not a garage queen but not far off'. I'll add again though that I do really like RTS'

Not sure how they ride K ?, would probably have the mindset of riding it as a hardtail though as i would'nt regard it as a true full susser, i.e take the same lines and have the same attitude riding the RTS as i do riding the Zaskar.

Mikee's RTS rode really nice for the two minutes I had a go of it up the Pentlands. Don't know if he'd worked any of his engineering magic on it, but I really liked it.

Back