26" Wheeled Tourers

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Always liked the 26" wheeled tourers such as Dawes Sardars, Orbit Romany's and the like. Whilst thinking about these bikes my mind cast back to what I presume was a small brit builder who made bikes titled 'Caribou' :?

Is such a recollection true or has presenility kicked in. Does anyone know anything about such bikes, I'm just interested is all :)

IIRC there was a thread about them on the CTC forum a while back. I remember them form the mid/late 90's. Was it the chaps at Avon Valley Cycles in Bath who did them?

(Random senile waffling now) ;)

hamster":rer13gqg said:
Was it the chaps at Avon Valley Cycles in Bath who did them?
It was indeed. I was considering buying one when I lived in Bath in 2000 - I might even have a brochure kicking around somewhere. I was told that LA Cycles of Coventry did the framebuilding.

There were a couple of models - one was called the Caribou Taiga, another the Vamoose - but they were flexible with custom options. A guy in the local CTC ordered one with sliding dropouts and a Rohloff hub.

My Kona Kilauea has Caribou paint: I bought it from Gary Cooper at AVC, where it had served as a Rohloff demonstrator.

Incidentally, AVC has changed hands since those days. I ran into Richard Grigsby (who was in partnership with Gary) at the recent Bristol Bespoked show. They sold the shop to concentrate on Cyclescheme.

Aha, all the pieces come together. I hired one for a day from AVC around 10 years ago for a day riding the K&A canal route with a pal. I remember it was a nice bike!

Once more the repository of all knowledge that is retrobike has ridden to the rescue. Not going senile after all, Caribou did exist.
Thanks guys

Back