1992 Satin Black Orange Clockwork

little markie

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi All,
I’m new member to the forum but I’ve been following the retro bike scene for a while now. Thanks to my old mate Jimbog I recently picked up a 1992 Satin Black Orange Clockwork frame off good old eBay. My intention is to rebuild it using retro parts such as Pace RC35 old XT thumbies etc. that I have been collecting over the last few weeks. However, my main dilemma are the decals. The frame came with white “Orange” & “Clockwork” decals. I think the main Orange sticker on the down tube is an after market but the Clockwork sticker on the top tube could be the original. I have spent most evenings searching the internet for this era of bike in stain black with these decals but with no luck! Before I start rebuilding the bike I would like to give it a re-spray in the original satin black. So, my question to you lot out there is: Do I go with white decals or change them to orange? And, what typeface / Font should I use?
Any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received.
I will Post some pic's asap.

Attachments

• ORANGE FRAME 1.jpg
    ORANGE FRAME 1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,113
  • ORANGE FRAME 2.jpg
    ORANGE FRAME 2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,113
  • CLOCKWORK 1.jpg
    CLOCKWORK 1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,112
  • CLOCKWORK 2.jpg
    CLOCKWORK 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,113
Yo dude. I think orange decals would be my choice. white would still look good though. :D

OK, Fresh set of Decals have been ordered this afternoon from Gil in orange.
Anyone know of a good Powder Coating company within the Berkshire area? Want to get some quotes on a fresh new coat of paint.
Cheers

nice start to a build/project, that. :cool:

Is the current finish on the frame really that bad that it needs fresh powder? Looks ok in the pics, but then I am on a phone, and the screen's really small.. :D

Thanks GT-Steve.
Your probably right. Considering its age the paint isn't too bad. But in the flesh it does look quite scruffy. As I said in my previous post i'm just interested to see how much it would cost for a fresh powder coat & if there are any local companies in my area who could do it.

generally you'd be looking at 40-60 pounds for powder on a frame. I know of coaters in Hampshire and oxfordshire, but sadly my Berkshire knowledge is rather limited..

If the paint's not too bad, you might just want to leave it, as it can add character or 'patina' to the bike, like a mark of history. The fresh decals might be all it needs. However it is of course your bike, and your decision, and we all have different levels of wear that we're happy with. :)

Latest posts

Back