Lardy Pace RC 405 weight saving project.

Chugnuts

Dirt Disciple
Hi ya guys :D

I'm in the process of loosing some weight from my bike and was wondering if the good folks on here could give me some solid pointers on shedding some vital poundage on what one of my friends describes as my sack of spuds bike :LOL:

Here's the spec so far...

Rock shox U Turn revolutions.... want to keep
DT Swiss EX200 rear shock.
Race Face Ride Stem and handlebars.
Deore shifters.
Deore crankset (9 speed).
Pace BB
A mix of Simano front brake and Avid Juicy rear brake (being replaced by XT front and rear).
XT front and rear Wheel-set - with XT skewers.
XTR M972 rear mech.... want to keep
XTR M971 front mech... want to keep
Thomson seat-post... want to keep
Vigo seat... want to keep

Any help would be greatly received this end ;)

Attachments

• RC 405-1.JPG
    RC 405-1.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 904
  • RC 405-2.JPG
    RC 405-2.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 904
Nice bike.

Rock shox U Turn revolutions.... want to keep:
Race Face Ride Stem and handlebars.
Deore shifters.
Deore crankset (9 speed).

Air forks would make prob the biggest weight loss,
Lighter stem and carbon bars.
Not much difference but XT/XTR shifters
XT/XTR crank would be a lot lighter than the Deore one.

Everything else I wouldn't change. ;)

Do you know the weight of it as it is??

Tubeless tyres aren't as light by some way as non tubeless versions so really doubt you'll save a kilo there. But tubeless do roll better, offer better puncture resistance and run at lower psi so give more grip. I've been looking long and hard at tubeless tyre options and its tempting to try to save weight with trying to make non tubeless tyres work with sealant but this involves a fair bit of faffing about so I'd go for some proper UST ones from the likes of Hutchinson or Schwalbe. Lots of choice here but its always going to be a size/grip trade off against weight. I'm quite fond of Hutchinson Pythons which aren't bad all rounders (not for Winter mud though) and weigh in at about 650g which is pretty light for UST.
Tubeless ready is another option and potentially lighter but for simplicity and durability UST is the way to go IMHO.

Definitely 2nd changing cranks for some XT HT2 ones and some carbon bars also is a quick an cost effective way to lose some weight.

Here's what I'd do:

Replace the stem for a nice Thomson to match the seatpost.
Replace the bars with some nice Easton Carbons.
Stick with inner tubes and go for a set of lighter tyres.
CHANGE THE CRANKS! (I've got some nice BRITISH Middleburns for sale ;) )

To be honest, the setup you've got is all good quality stuff, and I would have thought you'd struggle to drop the weight significantly, unless you were prepared to spend quite a bit of money.

How much does it weigh, out of interest?

Sorry guys, I've not been able to weigh it as yet; I might get a chance this weekend...possibly :eek:

I'm running tubeless at the moment :D

I was thinking of getting an XTR crankset and change the rings for Extralite ones. Also going to get hold of an XTR cassette and Sram 991 chain.

What bars and stem would be a good choice do you guys think? I'd be tempted to get a Thomson but they're not that light from what I remember seeing - could well be wrong on that count :D

Barneyballbags":1cl0a1gz said:
Here's what I'd do:

Replace the stem for a nice Thomson to match the seatpost.
Replace the bars with some nice Easton Carbons.
Stick with inner tubes and go for a set of lighter tyres.
CHANGE THE CRANKS! (I've got some nice BRITISH Middleburns for sale ;) )

To be honest, the setup you've got is all good quality stuff, and I would have thought you'd struggle to drop the weight significantly, unless you were prepared to spend quite a bit of money.

How much does it weigh, out of interest?

Hey ya Barny :D

I've always been a fan of the Middleburn stuff. How much weight is in yours compared to an XTR M970?

What length stem and width bars are you after ? I may have something to tempt you.
And please buy Barney's KCNC skewers (before I do) as Shimano skewers are not light. ;)

How much you looking to spend? As loosing weight is a wallet busting hobbie.

CHange the seat to a 100% carbon seat. Stem & bar go Carbon as well?

trek_y":25zhb87o said:
What length stem and width bars are you after ? I may have something to tempt you.
And please buy Barney's KCNC skewers (before I do) as Shimano skewers are not light. ;)

LOL @ the skewers comment.

I'll have a look at what my stem is and give you a shout :D

Back