Claud Butler c 1962....Finished

The postman just brought a parcel....i found some new brake spindles on evilbay. £3.99 /pair. I think they really make a difference......

Brake.jpg

Brake3.jpg

Just need to deal with the rusty springs now :roll: The devil IS in the detail :LOL:

Dave

Update...

Phone call from my LBS today. The rear wheel was ready, so off i went. Really pleased with it, and quick job as well.

Had to do a mock up as it has been so long since this bike had two good wheels.......

P3300084.jpg

Hi all,

things a bit slow since my prang on March 30th :oops:

The colour in the pic is primer for protection. It will be painted as the original pics on this thread show, the light colour having been revealed as light cream / arctic white when i took off the head badge. The main colour, ( found a flake of paint under grease on the BB), is a sort of slightly light, wine red.....

http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Oil/Old-Holland/Burgundy-Wine-Red/Burgundy-Wine-Red-xlg.jpg

a little darker than this. It will have black cables and bar tape.

I have also been looking at further possible dating evidance. Closer inspection at Nik Garif's website, http://www.nkilgariff.com/ClaudButler.htm shows CB from 1959 - 60 had olympic rings on the downtube, but NO signature on the fork blades. I have this comination, so possibly an early one.

The serial number, 3 874, is a bit of a problem in this respect, as i seems to be meaningless for CB's prior to bankrupcy, and i don't know anything about how Holdsworth did it. It might mean 1963, frame No. 874, but i feel the fact that there was no evidence of signatures on the fork blades goes against this. Nick at Lloyds identified the main seat tube badge as a "Clapham" one. Were Holdsworth building there in the old CB factory at that time? ANY help would be appriciated with this conundrum. :)

I have most of the things i need to re-assemble the bike, except a little chroming to the Quick release levers on the Weinmann 730 calipers. Just need to get on to my friend to paint it :roll:

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi, looking good, I think the serial number just confirms its an early Holdsworth era Claud, the numbers not an original Claud number, and not a standard Holdsworth number either, they had to use some system while the integration into Holdsworth happened, I'm sure I have spoken to someone with a Claud of the same period on a VCC ride and he was confused about the serial number as well. Terry

Re: Claud Butler c 1962....

Hi there.

Bit of question re the bottom bracket.

I have a CB Gran Sport (1974) with the cotter pinned BB. I need to rebuild it so imagine it'll be replacement bearings etc. How have you managed with rebuilding? Did you reuse the original ball bearings, or get a replacement race? (and if it was a replacement race, what size did you get?)

Cheers. Rebuild is looking good.

Back