Are deore hubs good enough.

gavinda

Senior Retro Guru
I'm refurbing my old blast and need to replace a cracked rear rim. Currently its on its oem deore hub and mavic rim that it came with 12 years ago. Now, I have found a sui table replacement from chain reaction, deore hub/mavic 317 rim for around £80. I've been happy with the wheels on teh bike for the last 1o years or so, but am worried I'm missing a trick by not upgrading the wheel now that I'm replacing it. The other limiting factor is that most wheel builds I am seeing are for disc brakes on the whole, and I am limited to rim brakes only on the rear.

Am i just being a fanny and should I just buy the deore? Or should I be looking at something else?

Then get some like me or some other wheel builder to build you a set with rim brake rim and non disc hubs.

I happen to have a new rear deore non disc rear hub but I would always recomend XT (T780-XT) all orderable from Madison. I also happen to have good used non disc hubs. XT hubs are smoother running out of the box and have better sealing a well as being lighter. I often see the deore hubs on MTB's needing a service/new cones.

A pair of new XT non disc hubs would set you back £57 + rims + spokes + wheel building. I a font LX hub kicking around to but XT is so much more durable.

New XT non disc hubs are only available in silver though.

I keep 317 rims in stock as do most shops.

Thanks, I did look for other wheel builders, but couldnt find anything without it getting crazy expensive, and I am trying to do this on a low budget if at all possible, but know that cheap, reliable and fast doesnt really exist.

The colour isn't an issue as my front 29" is a silver mavic anyway and so i would like to match the rear to it.

I dont know if it is a problem that i also only need the rear wheel rather than a pair as i already have a front wheel.

i presume you cant do this in teh open, but could you give me a price for an xt built rear then? would it be possible for the hub to be black with silver rims/spokes :oops:

If you are going for heavy duty stuff like touring then don't go with XT unless it's the older type (M750 or earlier). The later ones have aluminium axles which are thicker. to get them to fit Shimano reduced the bearing size and they don't last as long. See the CTC forum or touring-specific shops.

SLX or Deore are slightly heavier but have bigger bearings.

That said, XT usually has stainless bearings which is nice if water gets in. However my experience is that ANY Shimano MTB hub has fantastic seals.

You pays your money and takes your pick...

Generally LX & above get you better seals than deore, if you are on a budget try looking around for some old stock LX m570 hubs or wheels, although they aren't available in black, oh & strip them & put in some decent waterproof grease in the bearings before you use them too.

The mere fact you are asking the question suggests to me that you dont NEED to upgrade, however like many of us it sounds like you want to pimp your bike up a bit....fanny :)

jerky may be closer to the truth than is comfortable :LOL: .

I have always been happy with my bike and barring a 1x8 conversion and a new fork, both about 7-8 years ago, its standard.

I ride this bike on mostly x country and am too old to be dropping of anything bigger than a couple of foot these days.

I know i don't NEED super tough wheels, but am afraid of missing a trick as i refresh the bike.

le pimp factor is nice, but i'm not afraid to not rock high end stuff either.

Back