1993 Klein Attitude Moonrise

oh!

It's not my favourite Klein colour, but as usual it's an amazing looking bike. Last summer I passed an older woman on the rail trail who was riding a smaller Klein moonrise. I still kick myself for not giving her my number and begging her to sell me the bike when she's no longer riding

I support the opinions on your update ideas: don't do it like that. If you gotta make changes, consider...

1. Mathauser or Kool Stop pads, clean rims and good adjustments are all you need. Your brakes look like Dia-Compe 987's. They're good canti's. If you really need to improve the brakes, try some old XTR M900, or Avid Tri-Align canti's with good pads.

2. If you like the grip-shift, Ritchey's old canti levers were good and had a nice finish. I think they were made be Dia-Compe. I just prefer Shimano's rapid-fire's myself.

3. That fender isn't long enough to protect your downtube from rocks. (You know it won't do a thing for you in Portland rain either.) The best way to do that is you exercising caution when you see stuff on the trail ahead.

4. Tubeless? C'mon, you've got good wheels there. Use 'em. Mount some good tires and have fun.

5. Ya, the pedals do look out of place. Ebay, or a good LBS could turn up some good 747's.

You know you've got a wicked handling, mint condition piece of history that is no longer made. Treat it with that kind of reverance. Lewis River, Plains of Abraham, Mackenzie River? Sure. North Shore, Whistler, urban or bike park? Nooooo!

Good score.

Oh ya, Enduro Fork Seals still makes replacements for the Mag-21.

Nice story of a lovely Klein you have here.

What's the plan with the V's. You are not gonna tell you'll drill the frame will you? That would be a terrible shame. Some nice M900 canti's will do proper work or you need to find the right adapter for the cable exit of the rearbrake.

have fun!

cheers,
Martin

Re: oh!

semi-school":kovmrup0 said:
It's not my favourite Klein colour, but as usual it's an amazing looking bike. Last summer I passed an older woman on the rail trail who was riding a smaller Klein moonrise. I still kick myself for not giving her my number and begging her to sell me the bike when she's no longer riding

I support the opinions on your update ideas: don't do it like that. If you gotta make changes, consider...

1. Mathauser or Kool Stop pads, clean rims and good adjustments are all you need. Your brakes look like Dia-Compe 987's. They're good canti's. If you really need to improve the brakes, try some old XTR M900, or Avid Tri-Align canti's with good pads.

2. If you like the grip-shift, Ritchey's old canti levers were good and had a nice finish. I think they were made be Dia-Compe. I just prefer Shimano's rapid-fire's myself.

3. That fender isn't long enough to protect your downtube from rocks. (You know it won't do a thing for you in Portland rain either.) The best way to do that is you exercising caution when you see stuff on the trail ahead.

4. Tubeless? C'mon, you've got good wheels there. Use 'em. Mount some good tires and have fun.

5. Ya, the pedals do look out of place. Ebay, or a good LBS could turn up some good 747's.

You know you've got a wicked handling, mint condition piece of history that is no longer made. Treat it with that kind of reverance. Lewis River, Plains of Abraham, Mackenzie River? Sure. North Shore, Whistler, urban or bike park? Nooooo!

Good score.

Oh ya, Enduro Fork Seals still makes replacements for the Mag-21.

Many excellent points :cool:

Thanks for all the great comments. I'm glad I found this place because everything you guys are saying is making a lot of sense. So I think the new plan is:

1. Ditch the fender
2. keep the brakes and update the pads. I don't want v-brakes near it if they are going to hit the frame.
3. Find some older XTR clipless pedals (If anyone has some please let me know).
4. New Maxxis Ignitor tubeless tires. I plan on using the wheels on it but converting them to ghetto tubeless with a Stans kit.
5. find someone to rebuild the fork.
6. Ride it :D

Great story. Beautiful bike! I dream about that happening to me.

I agree with all of the comments. It will cost a bit to get the M900 stuff, but it will be worth it. I cringe every time I see Grip-Shit, I mean Shift.

lovely!......make whatever changes YOU feel you would like and enjoy!....thats about as near to art cycling gets...... :D

Just saw this and thought I would add it to the post:

Frame: 20" Klein Attitude Moonrise 1993

Fork: Rockshox Mag 21 SL (I think)

Headset: ?
Stem: Mission Control
Handlebar: Mission Control
Grips: Grip-Shift
Barends: None

Brakes: Dia-Comp 987 Canti
Brake Pads: KoolStop Black
Brake Cables: Shimano XT SLR
Cantilever cable hangers: Avid Tri-Dangle
Brake Levers: Dia-Comp PC8

Shifters: Grip-Shift SR-500R
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M901
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: Ride On
Cassette: Shimano XTR 12x28
Chain: Sedisport SL PRO Chrome
Cranks: Cook Bros RSR 176mm
Crank Bolts:?
Chainrings: ?
Chainring bolts: ?
Bottom Bracket: ?
Pedals: XTR Trail

Hub Skewers: Ringle Ti-Stix
Rims: Mavic 117 CD
Hubs: Super Bubba/Super 8
Nipples: Alloy
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke/Dart
Tubes:

Saddle: Sella Flight Ti Rail
Seatpost: Syncros Ti
Seatpost Binder: Salsa Cro-Mo
Bottle Cage: Ringle
Brake Booster: Brodie Magnesium

audi-allroad":3d3pts9h said:
Nice Story !! Great Bike !!

Moonrise is soooo NICE !!

I hope to have one anytime

greets from bavaria

Florian

Looks like it didn't take you long to find one.

Back