'94 Klein Fervor, Cumulous Grey....Updates/pics 07/29....

mikede

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello everybody, it's my first post so allow myself to introduce....myself. My name's Mike, orig. from NY. I now live in Germany.

My first MTB was a '95 Trek 7000 bought new in that year. Rode it nearly stock except for LX cranks/BB for 10yrs. My mother just recently threw it away when she moved, "oh, you wanted that old thing" :roll: .....

So I bought this right after moving to Germany:

2000 or so Gary Fisher Sugar3. Replaced the Manitou with a Rockshox Tora.
garyfisher2.jpg

garyfisher.jpg

Sold that^ to buy this...

2010 SE Stout 29er:

STOUTfsPICS0011.jpg

STOUTfsPICS0012.jpg

Which leads us to today, my KLEIN(pics from previous owner):

klein_fervor_1.jpg

klein_fervor_2.jpg

klein_fervor_4.jpg

It was/is actually a 1990 but developed a crack in the seatpost/clamp area, surprise surprise, and the frame was warrantied in 1994.

Much will be changed, it is in need of some TLC. It will be a resto-rod-type rebuild as opposed to a period-correct build. I am in the process of getting some semi-respectable wheels atm.

34henry3w":a0y7amy6 said:
that thing is sweet...the color is "puget morning"...one of my favorites.

Ah, so that's what it's called. As soon as I saw it I 'fell in love'. It just needs a good detailing. I'm looking for some wheels now so I can actually ride it, my Stout is provisionally sold so i'll need this one serviceable soon.

Well, it's been a while and the bike has undergone a few changes but none will be lasting ones.

I went thru my PB and found a few progress pics:

With the (temporary)AirlineOne wheels/Conti MountainKing 2.4's:
IMG_6564.jpg

IMG_6567.jpg

IMG_6555.jpg

Picked up this stuff from a fellow mtb-news.de member:
DSCF0026.jpg

STX canti's, Tektro triangles, and a set of pretty decent DiaCompe Power Control-7 levers.

I threw the canti's on with fresh pads, and a set of XT 3/8 shifter/brake levers I picked up, and the bar is just for the meantime.

Kleinsales3.jpg

Kleinsales2.jpg

And here the Sram 9spd cassette, was removed later in favor of a period correct 'nos' HG 7spd, and the M950 XTR also made way for a PC LX unit:
Kleinsales5.jpg

As it stood as of a few weeks ago:
KLEINSALE12.jpg

Then I sold the RaceFace cranks and picked up a set of LX's:
Kleinsales7.jpg

I have no recent pics, but it's going in a different direction as of yesterday.....updates when I make some more progress.

Nice bike!

I think those XT lever/shifter combo's are for V-brakes so I wouldn't recommend them for canti-brakes. V-Brake levers have more cable pull than those for canti-levers so the pads will move quickly to the rim but won't offer you any power unless you have a 'tarzan style' grip.

yeah I know, I have a set of the LX 3/7 shifter/brake levers for canti's but they won't be necessary ;)

I just need a few more small parts and it'll be on the road again, though far from done. It's tough to get the parts I want here in Germany, so I either have to wait till my buddy comes over from the US or wait till I see them here on Retrobike. And even then, i'm not quick enough.

Latest posts

Back