This frame might be an Alec Bird but is NOT a Carlton!

sawston_vulcan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i have just bought a track frame with a drilled fork....round fork blades.....forks made from 531 [frame 531c]....Alec Bird.....1980s?......Anyway....i use a front brake....should i keep the track forks or replace them with a set of 531 road oval bladed forks [which i also have...right size].....thinking of stress of braking....track forks are meant to take different forces than road forks etc....any opinions or advice...keep the track forks or change to the road fork....the track forks crown is a double square design.

6990265725_4a27a6e6d3_c_d.jpg

6844124926_2a590c1288_c_d.jpg

The force on the front brake is basically independent of the shape of the front forks between oval / round section....... the real problem is getting something to fit the drop. Filed out Weinmann 500's were popular in my day :)

Shaun

Just to add, the deflection of the forks backwards by braking is negligible and time trial bikes (non aero) in the 70's often had track geometry and round forks but with vertical drop outs instead of track rear ends :D

Shaun

Shaun...this one works with short drop brake calipers and i have a Shimano 105 DP.....but to put it simply...keep the track forks or replace with road ones.....read about juddery braking with round bladed track forks especially whilst descending steep hills...myth or truth?....keep or change?

Will have a look out for pics of the best bike I have ridden....built by Kevin sayles as a TT bike for himself but blimey what a fantastic bike. No brake judder problems, just the fact the brakes might bend because of the"drillium".

I have also had a Falcon Track bike specially drilled out for brakes with no problems..

Back after a bit of a search..

Shaun

Sorry, can't get tinypic to play the game but type "retrobike bob jackson" into google images and it will show pics of my cream Bob Jackson with round track forks :)

The other trick is to make sure the brake calipers are on tight and stick a big screwdriver into the brake block slot and bend it very slightly so that the front of the brake block touches a fraction before the rear, or sand the brake blocks at the baclK LOL

Shaun

Midlife":2k66g7wy said:
Sorry, can't get tinypic to play the game but type "retrobike bob jackson" into google images and it will show pics of my cream Bob Jackson with round track forks :)

Shaun

I tried but there were hundreds of pics.....only retrobike one was from the moderator of the forum...is that it?

So you have used 'round bladed forks' on the road with a track frame with no problem with braking?

some pics of my bob jackson above.....round forks and no problems with juddery braking :)

Shaun[/quote]

That was your TT BJ?....Was there much toe overlap?....Would there be much toe overlap using track forks?....Any idea what the rake would be on standard 531 track forks?

Here is what Sheldon Brown had to say about round track forks:

'Track bike fork blades are usually round instead of oval, as those of a road bike are. This makes them stiffer and more rigid laterally, a good thing for hard out-of-the-saddle sprinting, which can apply considerable side loads. Unfortunately, they are less rigid front-to-back, so if you fit a brake, the fork may flex objectionably when the brake is applied.'

Do you disagree with him or is there any truth in what he is saying?

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 14053.html

In that thread Dave Moulton def disagrees with SB!...Who is the greater legend..DM or SB? [with apologies to Danger Mouse and Dave Marsh]

I would rather keep track frame and track forks together...given the choice unless there is a good scientific reason for separating them and replacing the track forks with a 531 road variant.

Back