Yates Diabolo Build

NeilM":288yiujq said:
First dry run.

Don't flame me here, I know there are bits all over the place, and those with eagle eyes will spot the problem with the forks, which hopefully will be resolved later this week.

LBS provided a rescue to my 27mm crown race problem, in the shape of... a 27mm crown race, from the spares box :D That's when I realised the stem was 10mm too short :evil: So, now I have some different forks on their way.

The handlebar height is not quite right yet, but a slightly taller stem will sort that, and at present it is fitted with a Zoom stem, with a nice Orange SK8 waiting in the wings along with a brand new I-Beam, JIC.

I also need to get a set of brake blocks, as the Shimano ones that came with the STX V-brakes are sh...ocking.

Oh and the deliberate mistake when at the LBS yesterday.... can you see it? Yes, I forgot to buy a blinkin chain, what a plonker!

Anyway, yer it be.

DSC_0033.jpg

Don't worry, that bottle cage is coming off as soon as I get a nice lightweight silver one.

Oh and I now know how to get to the bearings on Time ATAC pedals. I shouldn't complain though, as they only cost me a quid on the bay.

Lastly; Stu it's not 27.2 buddy, it's 27 ;)

Gimme a week or so, and it should be on the road, dirt, trail, forest path, hills, bridleways........

Hi Neil,

It's looking great! funnily enough I did put 27 in my ad originally and was corrected by another forum member....the previous owner had crammed a 27.2 in there so I just assumed it should be a 27 and then thought maybe it was 27.2 and the seat tube needed a good clean out......oh, and if you're missing an STX V Brake I might have one kicking around :)

Cheers
Stu

Kasper Hauser":o4ocm3ol said:
Wow that's 3 nice DYs in one thread!

I will be really interested to watch this develop. I've just decided to rescue my Diabolo from it's current status as a single speed back in to what it should be. Might even be brave and post a picture when its sorted but there are so many amazing bikes on this site.

Sinnerman, great knowledge! Just to complete the picture on Columbus framed Diabolos there was also a nivacrom tubed version in around 92 or 93 that sat between the Cromor OR and Max OR frames.

I have yet to experience a full frame made with Nivacrom tubing, but after quite a journey, i am about to embark on a special build now, and i am quite excited by the prospect.

:cool:

I have waited a long time to try Columbus Genius. A tubeset that took the world by storm (according to some) in 1991, with its differential shaped tubing, and became an unprecedented success.

The wait has been a long one, but with a massive amount of luck, i have managed to find such a frame.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 565
stu":2or0q719 said:
Hi Neil,

It's looking great! funnily enough I did put 27 in my ad originally and was corrected by another forum member....the previous owner had crammed a 27.2 in there so I just assumed it should be a 27 and then thought maybe it was 27.2 and the seat tube needed a good clean out......oh, and if you're missing an STX V Brake I might have one kicking around :)

Cheers
Stu

Stu,

I asked Debbie about the seatpost, and she said they didn't know which was the correct size, so I'm not sure how anyone else would know.

I measured the tube with vernier calipers and it came in smack on 27mm. I did try a 27.2, but there was no way that was going in, so 27 it is.

Got some new blocks from LBS that appear to be made of braking material, rather than the hardened plastic Shimano one's I got the the brakes!

Got a slight setback with the back wheel, as the freehub has decided it isn't. So that's coming to bits tonight. Also got a bit of a front mech issue, so currently got dibs on a FD-M735 that should do the job.

Little by little.

Carl, can't wait to see you new poject. I don't know how you find the rare ones, Devil worship I guess.

How an they not know what seat tube size it is :?

I have to say I am surprised on the lack of knowledge with the people at Dave Yates. When I had my Zinn done I asked what tool they used to fit the bottom bracket and they didn't know - how can they not know?!?!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how this comes together.

I can't wait to see Carl's new project(s) as well! I think it/they are going to be very special

Nearly there.

After a fork change, to one that has sufficient stem length and also after cleaning out the freewheel, which was jammed full of old sticky grease (dunno where that came from), I am close to finishing.

I've got a M735 front mech on it's way, which I'm hoping will resolve the problem I ran into with the other one. A couple of days and I will know.

I took it for a quick spin round the block and it's light, much lighter than I had expected, so it's going to be a lot of fun pounding the roads and trails with, and tweaking until it's all just right.

DSC_0053-1.jpg

Oh, and I must change that bottle cage :roll:

matthew71":2ii1x84e said:
come on neil,sort that saddle out :LOL:

Yes, still working on that.

As soon as I looked at the photo I knew that someone would make comment on the saddle :roll:

Back