1995 Yeti ARC repair / restoration build - COMPLETE July 2nd

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I thought I'd share a restoration project I'm doing for a client in Italy. He is not a active member in the vintage mountain bike community so once this bike leaves my shop it'll most likely never surface again.

This bike started out as a boring 95 ARC (A19XX) with a severe case of the cracked headtube. The build was nothing short of uninspiring with only a couple neat pieces (turquoise graftons in the rear and a moby post), everything else was meh.

DSC_0378-vi.jpg

DSC_0381-vi.jpg

DSC_0386-vi.jpg

DSC_0389-vi.jpg

The frame went to FTW for repair (along with another one) and Frank did not disappoint. He replaced the headtube with an updated version with thicker walls and more meat. He also fixed up the gauged chainstays as a bonus.

DSC_0523-vi.jpg

DSC_0524-vi.jpg

DSC_0525-vi.jpg

DSC_0527-vi.jpg

After the repair work by FTW the frame was sent off to Spectrum Powder works in Colorado for the famous Yeti team yellow/turquoise powder coat. The owner decided to put the decals under the clear coat for durability instead of applying thicker vinyl cut decals like the originals. Also, in keeping with the weirdness of Yeti back in the day they are different from left to right. Drive side (from L to R) reads EASTON YETI ARC (with a blue drop shadow on the YETI) and the non-drive side (from L to R) reads YETI ARC EASTON (with a blue drop shadow on the YETI.) Couple of the pics in this sequence are of the other frame, just wanted to show the process.

SNB16659-vi.jpg

SNB16685-vi.jpg

SNB16686-vi.jpg

SNB16684-vi.jpg

SNB16687-vi.jpg

SNB16689-vi.jpg

Then the decals went on:

SNB16699-vi.jpg

SNB16701-vi.jpg

SNB16702-vi.jpg

The the clear coat and VOILA!!!

SNB16709-vi.jpg

SNB16710-vi.jpg

SNB16711-vi.jpg

SNB16713-vi.jpg

Hopefully I'll have the frame back and can start the build this weekend. Here is the parts list so far:

Judy SL w/ Risse cartridge and White Brothers springs - painted to match
Ringle Super Bubba wheels (turquoise)
Ringle Twisters (turquoise)
Ringle Moby post (turquoise)
Topline cranks (silver)
Ringle Zooka stem (silver or turquoise)
Answer Hyperlite bar (silver or Turquoise)
Ringle or Chris King headset (turquoise)
Critical Racing brakes (turquoise)
Shimano M900 XTR STIs
Shimano M900 XTR rear derailleur
Shimano M900 XTR front derailleur
Shimano M900 XTR 12-28 cassette

I think that about covers it... pics of the build over the weekend, hopefully!

Love the Yeti colors - it's artwork. The frame could be hung on the wall like that but hey....build it up and ride it!!!!

Buzzsaw":265vyzsx said:
Love the Yeti colors - it's artwork. The frame could be hung on the wall like that but hey....build it up and ride it!!!!

Thanks. It's being built as a rider. Perhaps it won't be raced, but the owner has a FRO he's been riding for years and wants to finally get that ARC he's wanted for all those years.

ez054098":30191c3l said:
How much of the restorations do you do?

I don't paint (yet) or weld. I do refinish parts, and do some touch up painting on frames that don't require full restoration and then all of the assembly work (I know lame.) But in matters of critical importance I leave the work to the professionals.

Thank you for letting us participate in this great build!

Powdercoating with three colours (yellow - black - turquoise) is quite difficult, I reckon.

I am no Yeti expert. Were the holders for the top tube cables originally black or turquoise? I have seen Yetis with both colours.

serious wow. well done! getting frank the welder to fix it is an inspired choice.

paint looks magic!i

Rahbari":1wtkcu3y said:
Thank you for letting us participate in this great build!

Powdercoating with three colours (yellow - black - turquoise) is quite difficult, I reckon.

I am no Yeti expert. Were the holders for the top tube cables originally black or turquoise? I have seen Yetis with both colours.

The cable guides and front derailleur pulley are all turquoise. I might get them reannodized as they were a little bit faded.

Back