TI Raleigh 753 1980

shawnb":14jat00y said:
Looking forward to following this one. I too am busy sourcing top quality SR stuff, there is a lot of good stuff in the US but at premium prices, then there's the 3 week wait for it then the letter from the customs then the extra money to pay........ :roll: well worth it though ;)

Getting the parts is a real pain but I've got a couple of nice bits coming today, NOS band on mech and a correct 1980 date coded chainset so might get them blogged later. This build is slowly taking over my life!!

Just fitted 2 x new parts today, NOS SR front mech and a 1980 dated SR chainset. Both look absolutely beautiful. And of course, part of this build for me is blogging about it.

http://raleigh-sb4059.com/2012/04/17/12-speed-racer/

Next on the shopping list are some hubs and freewheel (or whatever comes along first really!)

Attachments

• Raleigh TI Super Record Chainset.jpg
    Raleigh TI Super Record Chainset.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,610
  • Raleigh TI Super Record Front Mech.jpg
    Raleigh TI Super Record Front Mech.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,610
I dont think that year of Campag & SR groupset will ever be surpassed for its simplicity ,beauty and quality.
This bike/build is going to be a real dream.

AndyPA":29z1aqow said:
I dont think that year of Campag & SR groupset will ever be surpassed for its simplicity ,beauty and quality.

+1.
The late model SR brakes with triangulated arms are the best looking ever made by any manufacturer. The ridiculous Cobalto and heavy ugly Deltas that came after just didn't cut the mustard.

This is going to be a beautiful bike when finished.

Mark.

daccordimark":28ifhgjp said:
AndyPA":28ifhgjp said:

+1.
The late model SR brakes with triangulated arms are the best looking ever made by any manufacturer. The ridiculous Cobalto and heavy ugly Deltas that came after just didn't cut the mustard.

This is going to be a beautiful bike when finished.

Mark.

I've spent the last 15 or so years riding Shimano STI and have just realised how bulbous and heavy and awkward looking the kit is. However, I have none of those worries looking at this build everyday. This is going to be my first full SR bike (eventually!)

Good to read your latest blog. I too am trying to at least get '84 or '85 pat parts (it was manufactured very early '85 so I can get away with '84 parts ;) ) My chainset came today minus the BB dust caps but in nice condition. The used front and rear der finally turned up form the US and are in exceptional condition and year correct.
What are you going with for your freewheel? are you considering the alloy 200gr super record or the gold regina oro at 340grms? It looks like the super is only available in 7 speed though.... I'm trying to build mine as light as poss so the super record looks tempting although unsure whether it'll fit inside a 126mm spacing. 140 grms is alot when you are saving weight over all the components though!

shawnb":3mce3kb8 said:
Good to read your latest blog. I too am trying to at least get '84 or '85 pat parts (it was manufactured very early '85 so I can get away with '84 parts ;) ) My chainset came today minus the BB dust caps but in nice condition. The used front and rear der finally turned up form the US and are in exceptional condition and year correct.
What are you going with for your freewheel? are you considering the alloy 200gr super record or the gold regina oro at 340grms? It looks like the super is only available in 7 speed though.... I'm trying to build mine as light as poss so the super record looks tempting although unsure whether it'll fit inside a 126mm spacing. 140 grms is alot when you are saving weight over all the components though!

It's always nice getting new parts delivered! I'm trying to keep mine as original as poss where I can. I would love the weight savings but originality is key for me. I'm going for the Regina Oro. Just read the campy timeline and the 7sp SR block needs 130 spacing, so I could never get that in the back of a 753 (unless someone out there has?). What tubing are you? Can you have it set to 130? I've been eyeing up some titanium SR pedals but they are just too expensive. I'll be happy with the std weight when it's built. It won't be too bad for a 32 year old steel bike, I'm sure.

Back